Cowboys owner Jerry Jones praised recently hired HC Mike McCarthy‘s experience and “can-do attitude.”
“The thing I like about Mike the best is Mike’s been in the foxhole. … Mike brings a combination of experience and a can-do attitude. I know he wants to show em and we want him to show em everything he’s about with the Cowboys,” said Jones, via Jon Machota.
- Per NFL Media’s Jane Slater, Cowboys WR Amari Cooper said he hasn’t had any discussions with his agent about a contract extension but he still wants to stay in Dallas long-term.
- Cooper added he’s “apprehensive” about free agency. (Calvin Watkins)
- Cooper also said he’s looking forward to some long-term security: “You want your future secured, just to know that, to be comfortable about being on a particular team for years to come.” (Watkins)
- He acknowledged the possibility of Dallas putting the frachise tag on him: “Nothing would surprise me.” (Watkins)
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones “has been aggressive” in telling veteran DE Robert Quinn that they would like to re-sign him for the 2020 season. (Tony Pauline)
- Pauline adds Quinn’s preference is to stay with Dallas and would not leave if they make him a “competitive offer.”
- We have Cooper and Quinn included in our Top 100 – 2020 Free Agents list.
- Dallas will retain assistant DL coach Leon Lett in the same position with new DL coach Jim Tomsula. (Todd Archer)
- Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles discussed the possibility of keeping QB Josh McCown in a coaching role during his exit interview, possibly considering him for their offensive coordinator job.
- However, McCown has no plans to officially retire at this point in time.
- NJ.com’s Matt Lombardo lists Giants QB Alex Tanney, Cowboys QB Cooper Rush, Redskins QB Case Keenum and Bears QB Chase Daniel as potential backup options for the Giants in 2020 following Eli Manning‘s retirement.
- The Athletic’s Dan Duggan reports the Giants interviewed Saints DBs coach Aaron Glenn for a position on new HC Joe Judge‘s staff.
- While a recent report said former Browns HC Freddie Kitchens was expected to join the Giants’ coaching staff, Duggan reports he has other options and “it’s not a lock that he’ll make it to New York.”
- The Giants interviewed former Missouri OC and WR coach Derek Dooley for their opening at TE coach. (Todd Archer)
- Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline mentions the Redskins are worth watching for Falcons free-agent TE Austin Hooper this offseason if they are ready to move on from TE Jordan Reed.
- Per NBC Sports’ JP Finlay, the Redskins hired Brett Nenaber as the team’s director of player performance, reporting to head trainer Ryan Vermillion.
- Washington also hired Jeff Zgonina as an assistant DL coach.