- According to NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero, Eagles second-round rookie RB Miles Sanders has a low-grade ankle sprain and is working through some inflammation, but should be good to go for Sunday’s playoff game against the Seahawks.
- Eagles placed DE Daeshon Hall on injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Eagles signed RB Elijah Holyfield off of the Panthers’ practice squad.
- Eagles released LB Deshaun Davis from their practice squad.
- According to SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano, Baylor HC Matt Rhule is the early favorite to be the next Giants head coach.
- Vacchiano says the Giants have been enamored with Rhule since his one year as an assistant OL coach with the team in 2012.
- Vacchiano adds there’s expected to be significant interest from Rhule in coaching the Giants as well.
- He also mentions the Giants could inquire if Vikings offensive assistant Gary Kubiak is interested.
- Vacchiano notes that despite requesting an interview, there’s not expected to be strong interest from the Giants in former Packers HC Mike McCarthy.
- ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports there’s an advocacy for McCarthy in certain portions of the organization.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes Rhule is among the candidates who have given feedback to the Giants that the organizational structure needs to be modernized and has grown stale.
- Giants GM Dave Gettleman defended his midseason trade for DL Leonard Williams, who had just 0.5 sacks after New York traded a 2020 third and conditional 2021 fourth-round pick for him: “We felt he could be a disruptive force inside and he has been.” (Vacchiano)
- Gettleman explained the Giants felt a sense of urgency to trade for Williams rather than just try to sign him in free agency in the offseason: “That’s hypothetical. … And now we know what we have.”
- Gettleman said Williams wants to re-sign with the Giants: “He was in my office yesterday and told me he wants to be here.” (Art Stapleton)
- Gettleman also defended his decision to keep QB Eli Manning and his $23 million cap hit despite drafting QB Daniel Jones No. 6 overall and benching Manning after just two games: “Who better for Daniel to learn from than Eli Manning? So to answer your question: We’re fine with it.” (Vacchiano)
- Despite a torn Achilles likely keeping him out until training camp, Giants C Jon Halapio is a strong candidate to be brought back as a restricted free agent. (Ryan Dunleavy)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes Redskins OC Kevin O’Connell could be retained in the same position by HC Ron Rivera, or he could end up with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels if he takes a head coaching position.
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora believes Rivera is likely to retain O’Connell and could also hire Browns DC Steve Wilks and LB coach Al Holcomb to his staff.
- However, ESPN’s John Keim reports Wilks is not a candidate to join Rivera’s staff.
- Despite a series of contradicting reports, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport clarifies Redskins SVP of football operations Eric Schaffer remains employed by the team.
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio writes that some of the confusion stems from Schaffer telling people on Monday he was out. Florio adds Schaffer is expected to remain in his position until May.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!