Home Eagles NFC East Notes: Eagles, Giants, Redskins
- Derrick Gunn of NBC Sports reports Eagles RT Lane Johnson (ankle) has been ruled out of Sunday’s NFC Wildcard game against the Seahawks. Should Philadelphia win on Sunday, Gunn mentions that Johnson is expected to be fully recovered for the NFC Divisional round.
- Gunn also reports that Eagles TE Zach Ertz (ribs, back) has been cleared for Sunday’s NFC Wildcard game.
- John Clark noted that Ertz wore a flak jacket during Friday’s practice, while Johnson was still having issues with his high-ankle sprain.
- Ralph Vacchiano, citing multiple NFL sources, reports that there is serious double around the league about Patriots OC Josh McDaniels being interested in the Giants’ head coach job.
- League sources tell Vacchiano that they don’t believe McDaniels would not join the Giants for a number of reasons, including a desire to stay in New England given Bill Belichick‘s uncertain future, not wanting to coach in the New York market and New York being unlikely to give him “Belichick-like control” over the organization.
- Vacchiano mentions that the Giants do, however, consider McDaniels a “serious candidate” and are expected to interview him, even though there has been “considerable speculation” about whether they’re a match due to his “perceived desire of power.”
- Despite Giants GM Dave Gettleman saying he would be willing to “give up some power” to the right coach, Vacchiano doesn’t think New York would offer a candidate complete control over their personnel and are comfortable with their current power structure.
- Vacchiano also says Gettleman’s job security would likely be a deal-breaker for McDaniels, given he would want to hire his own executives.
- Tom Pelissero reports that the Redskins are hiring former Panthers’ head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion, who spent the past 18 years in Carolina under HC Ron Rivera.
- Joe Person also reports that the Redskins are scheduled to interview Panthers DL coach Sam Mills III.
- According to Person, Rivera and the Redskins also hired former Panthers OL coach John Matsko and WRs coach Jim Hostler.