Cowboys HC Jason Garrett confirmed that OC Kellen Moore will call plays this season.
“We anticipate that he will call plays,” Garrett said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “We want to look at different ways of doing things.”
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones explained that Garrett will be part of a “safety net” as the team tries to move in a new direction offensively.
“I said to everybody, ‘I want those new ideas. I want them thought through far. And if they are not being implemented call me,’” Jones said. “But let’s get in there and do the kinds of things to get the most out of a very talented roster. Kellen has the skill and the right attitude and style to make this work.”
- Albert Breer has heard rumblings that Sean Payton and Lincoln Riley are expected to be atop the Cowboys’ short list of head-coaching candidates if they end up parting ways with Jason Garrett next year.
- Regarding S Lando Collins, Vacchiano says the franchise is a potential option and it’s likely the two parties have at least discussed a potential extension.
- Vacchiano wonders if New York may approach OLB Olivier Vernon about a pay cut, given that releasing him would leave them without a pass rush and it could just as much or more to sign a free agent.
- Vacchiano says the same goes for CB Janoris Jenkins.
- The Giants are hiring Rutgers assistant Henry Baker as assistant DBs coach. (James Kratch)