- According to the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs, the Bears typically keep six wide receivers on the roster, which means Marvin Hall, Emanuel Hall and Javon Wims will be battling for one spot barring injury.
- Because of his ability on special teams, Marvin Hall could have a leg up for the final spot.
While the Bears traded for Raiders K Eddy Pineiro this week, Biggs mentions that he’s “hardly a sure thing” in terms of making the roster. Biggs adds that it’s possible the Bears’ kicking situation is “far from resolved.”
Biggs doesn’t believe the Bears are planning to spend big money on any free agents at this point.
One potential extension candidate to watch for Chicago, according to Biggs, is OL Cody Whitehair.
Lions’ veteran CB Rashaan Melvin said he felt like a bad fit for the Raiders’ zone system last season and feels comfortable in Detroit’s’ defense.
“All coaches have different techniques and different schemes,” Melvin said, via Justin Rogers of The Detroit News. “Unfortunately, (Oakland) wanted me to do something I wasn’t as comfortable with. I’m here now and it fits me the way I feel I should be playing.”
Melvin said he is prepared to compete for a starting role this offseason.
“I don’t think you go into a place thinking you’re not going to start and not going to play,” Melvin said. “That’s a recipe for failure, a recipe for not making the team. You know, you come in competing at a high level thinking you’re going to start, I think you’re going to play a lot and help this team win.”
“I have been diagnosed with an autonomic disorder,” Thompson said in the statement. ”I feel that it’s important to mention that based on the test results and opinions of medical specialists, they feel that I do not fit the profile of someone suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).”
Thompson played 10 years as a linebacker for the Houston Oilers, primarily on special teams before kickoff rules were changed.
Per ESPN’s Rob Demovsky, the Packers gave the following amounts to their undrafted free agent class:
- LB Greg Roberts received a $7,000 signing bonus plus $65,000 of guaranteed base salary.
- LB Curtis Bolton, TE Davis Koppenhaver, OT Yosh Nijman, WR Matthew Eaton, LB Randy Ramsey and QB Manny Wilkins each received a $7,000 signing bonus.
- CB Javien Hamilton received a $4,200 signing bonus.
- CB Kabion Ento and CB Nydair Rouse each received a $2,500 signing bonus.
- G Larry Williams received a $2,000 signing bonus.