- Regarding the Bears’ 24-21 loss to the Raiders in Week 5, Adam Jahns of The Athletic believes the defense’s inability to stop Raiders RB Josh Jacobs has raised concerns about Bears ILB Roquan Smith, who missed Week 4 due to personal reasons.
- Jahns points out two plays where Smith was ineffective; Jacobs’ 12-yard touchdown run and Raiders RB DeAndre Washington‘s three-year score.
- Bears waived QB Tyler Bray.
- Bears re-signed TE Bradley Sowell. (NFLTR)
- Per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lions HC Matt Patricia, who himself has graduated to a cane in his recovery from a torn Achilles, says DT Mike Daniels is the only player who should miss practice Wednesday.
- Patricia added that while he would practice, Lions first-round rookie TE T.J. Hockenson is still in the concussion protocol. (Birkett)
- The Lions worked out WRs Emanuel Hall, Quincy Adeboyejo and Bennie Fowler. (Aaron Wilson)
“When he says something on the field with those bad snaps, and he’s very firm, I respond better because of the relationship that he’s cultivated,” said Patrick, via Matt Schneidman of The Athletic. “He could seriously walk up to me and say anything to me on the field, whether it’s negative or positive, and I’ll respond with a, ‘Yes sir, let’s do it. OK, I’ll be better.’ ”
Patrick mentioned that his relationship with Rodgers goes back to 2017 when the quarterback introduced himself to Patrick’s mother following preseason cuts.
“As a person – not ’12,’ not ‘Aaron Rodgers’ and all this – as one of my teammates, came up and talked to my mom,” Patrick said. “That’s the nicest thing he could’ve ever done, especially after the preseason. There are some guys who are haggling for stuff who may not be on the team the next week. Ever since he’s done that, he’ll forever be good in my book.”
Rodgers said he was proud of how Lucas played in Week 5 and believes he was effective against the Cowboys.
“I’m proud of Lucas. He had a couple of wayward snaps but for him to step in like that and play well and be effective was great,” Rodgers said. “I was just telling him how proud I am of him. We had a great conversation over the lunch table kind of mid-camp.”
Rodgers feels that Patrick has improved since training camp after initially struggling with the Packers’ scheme.
“I felt like he was struggling a little bit mentally. Since the end of training camp, he’s gained a lot of confidence in the scheme, where he can step in in a tough environment with a really good front and be effective.”
A week ago, the Vikings were coming off a tough loss to a division rival and looking for answers to why their passing game had stalled out again. That likely contributed to WR Stefon Diggs‘ absence from practice and comments that ignited trade rumors. This week though, coming off a 28-10 win against the Giants, Diggs had a different tone.
“I never said I was unhappy or uncomfortable with my role,” Diggs said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “I said I wanted to win, that was what my frustrations were and that’s where it kind of got misconstrued last week.”