Home Bears NFC North Notes: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings
- Bears GM Ryan Pace said that they’re “still evaluating” whether to use their franchise tag on free agent CB Kyle Fuller but added that the tag is “on the table.” (Rich Campbell)
- Pace singled out the cornerback position where there should be good depth this offseason: “I would say cornerback this year in free agency and the draft is a good position so that’s beneficial to us.” (Adam Jahns)
- Lions GM Bob Quinn reiterated that TE Eric Ebron will be back in 2018, despite questions about his future the past few years. (Dave Birkett)
- According to Quinn, there’s a “good chance” they will fill their cornerback needs internally: “I think there’s a pretty good chance they are internal. We drafted those guys for a reason last year, and when we evaluated them in the postseason process, we liked what they did and their role.” (Michael Rothstein)
- Regarding the team’s recent decision to franchise DE Ziggy Ansah, Quinn said it was an easy decision for them: “We have a great deal of respect for him as a player and person. We are excited to have him back and Coach Patricia and I are excited about it.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Michael Rothstein reports that Lions LB/DE Brandon Copeland is fully cleared for football activities.
- New Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said of his approach to free agency: “We’d like to be really aggressive and be in every conversation.“
- As for signing Aaron Rodgers to a long-term extension, Gutekunst said: “I don’t know if there’s pressure, but we certainly would like to get it done sooner rather than later, not necessarily for those reasons. When you have the best player in the NFL it’s not going to be inexpensive, you know what I mean? Obviously, Aaron is a high priority, he’s a great player. That should take care of itself at some point.“
- When asked about WR Jordy Nelson, WR Randall Cobb and OLB Clay Matthews‘ contract situations, Gutekunst said: “It’s a big puzzle, and as the information comes in and we get closer to the free agent time period and we get through the combine and kind of get a better feel for the draft some of those things will come into play. I’ll say this: we have some really good players and we don’t want to let them walk out of the door. You know what I mean? It’s hard enough in this league to find them, so we certainly don’t want to let them walk out of the door. But there are restraints and every decision kind of effects something else but we want to let all of the information kind of come in before we get to that point.“
- Regarding the news that their grievance to recoup money from TE Martellus Bennett failed, Gutekunst said: “It doesn’t change the course of what we’re trying to do. Hoping it turned out a different way but it won’t affect what we’re trying to do.” (Rob Demovsky)
- Packers HC Mike McCarthy said that all feedback has been positive in regards to RT Bryan Bulaga‘s recovery from torn ACL. (Ryan Wood)
- After hearing McCarthy and Gutekunst on Wednesday, Tom Silverstein mentions that they didn’t sound like they were preparing to approach WR Jordy Nelson about a pay cut.
- McCarthy made it clear that Ty Montgomery won’t be used in one spot and they need him to stay healthy. (Tom Silverstein)
- Vikings GM Rick Spielman told reporters on Wednesday that there have been no decisions made regarding their quarterback situation at this time. (Tom Pelissero)
- Spielman did, however, make it clear that Teddy Bridgewater‘s contract situation is a league matter and he does not believe the contract will toll.
- Spielman said that this will be a big year for former first-round WR Laquon Treadwell and they’re hoping to see a jump from him. (Tom Pelissero)