- Bears HC Matt Nagy said he is “cautiously optimistic” about QB Mitch Trubisky (shoulder) starting in Week 7 against the Saints, but indicated there will be a “balancing act” in practice with backup QB Chase Daniel. (Rich Campbell)
- Adam Schefter reports that Bears DT Akiem Hicks, who placed on injured reserve Tuesday, is expected back in eight weeks.
- According to Schefter, Hicks’ elbow injury will not require surgery, so he figures to be a candidate to return from injured reserve in the coming months.
- Nagy said the team is “leaving open the possibility” for Hicks to return from injured reserve in December given surgery is not required on his injury. (Rich Campbell)
- Trubisky confirmed that he will wear a left-shoulder harness and revealed he suffered a brief dislocation: “… it went back in. It was a weird feeling.” (Rich Campbell)
- Trubisky said he feels “close to 100 percent” and must show the Bears’ staff he is able to withstand hits. (Adam Jahns)
- Packers HC Matt LaFleur said Wednesday that they plan to stick with Darius Shepherd as their punt returner, despite him muffing a punt: “He’s a young player. I don’t think you cut the cord on one mistake.” (Ryan Wood)
- LaFleur indicated the Packers they have no plans to reduce TE Jimmy Graham’s role in their offense, despite his ineffectiveness. LaFleur mentioned that he wants “to make sure he knows we believe in him … I think he’s going to be ready to battle back this week.” (Rob Demovsky)
- The Green Bay Packers worked out RB David Williams and S Chris Johnson on Tuesday. (NFLTR)
- Packers signed WR Ryan Grant. (NFLTR)
- Packers waived RB Tra Carson.
- Packers designated TE Jace Sternberger to return from injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Packers signed RB Damarea Crockett and DB Tremon Smith to their practice squad.
- Packers released TE Ethan Wolf their practice squad.
- According to Darren Wolfson, Vikings TE David Morgan (knee) is still not ready to practice despite being eligible to return from the team’s Physically Unable to Perform list this week.