So far Lions C Frank Ragnow‘s return to his natural position this season has gone exceptionally well. Ragnow is ranked as the No. 1 center by Pro Football Focus and the NFL’s best run-blocker at the position. A first-round pick in 2018 who played guard as a rookie, Ragnow switched back to center this offseason and has been a rock in the interior of the Lions offense line.
“He’s got a leadership (quality),” Lions OL coach Jeff Davidson said via MLive.com’s Kyle Meinke. “Guys kind of follow that. Got a great rapport with the quarterback right now. And there’s, again things he needs to work on here, but I would just say I’m very appreciative of what he’s able to bring to the game. He’s a natural bender, he’s a strong guy, still has not got anywhere close to his ceiling. So, I’d say the future looks bright for the guy here.”
- Lions first-round rookie TE T.J. Hockenson was a full-go at practice again on Thursday. (Tim Twentyman)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer mentions the Packers as a team that could be interested in Jets DL Leonard Williams.
- According to the Athletic’s Matt Schneidman, Packers WR Davante Adams and S Darnell Savage both missed practice Tuesday.
- Packers C Corey Linsley practiced despite still being in the concussion protocol, while RB Jamaal Williams has cleared the protocol.
- Williams says he didn’t remember the hit from Eagles DE Derek Barnett that gave him a concussion until he got to the hospital. He plans on playing Monday night against the Lions. (Tom Silverstein)
- Adams has recovered somewhat from the initial turf toe injury suffered last Thursday night but says he still has progress to make despite the innocuous-sounding name: “It means that you strained or tore something. So there’s ligament damage, and we just gotta let that heal up. I’ve made a lot of strides and I’m definitely able to move around a lot better than what I was, but we still got some healing to go.” (Schneidman)
- Adams said he’s not sure if he’ll play Monday night, adding his toe doesn’t feel the way he wants it to feel. (Demovsky)
- Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was listed as limited in practice with a knee injury. (Jim Owczarski)
Vikings QB Kirk Cousins and the Minnesota offense rebounded from a rough week with Sunday’s 28-10 win against the Giants. Cousins said in his podcast this week that he plays better “when I have an edge to me” and while he didn’t directly say what gives him an edge, he seemed to hint at some of the outside criticism fueling a big game.
“I don’t know the answer,” Cousins said, via Michael Rand of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Sometimes when I get frustrated and ticked off, there’s a little more fire there. It can also get you in trouble if you’re not careful, but I think within reason it can help you. . . . You play this position and things happen inside the building and outside the building that motivate you. You find motivation anywhere you can, really.”