“Those guys are a work in progress,” Bevell said, via DetroitNews.com’s Matthew Schoch. “We just have to kind of refine what’s going to be best for their roles.”
Bevell added that the Lions’ staff is still learning what Carson and Perkins do well.
“We’re going to have to learn Tra and what Tra does well and what Perkins does well,” Bevell said. “We’re in the process of doing that, giving them opportunities.”
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes that it would have cost at least a first-round pick or the equivalent for the Lions to have parted with CB Darius Slay at the trade deadline.
- Slay told reporters after the deadline that he would like to play his entire career with the Lions but there hasn’t been any movement on his contract, which expires after 2020: “I wouldn’t mind playing my whole career here. Who wouldn’t want to just play on one team? But it’s a whole business. Can’t have your hopes up.” (Dave Birkett)
Packers WR Davante Adams took perhaps the final and most promising step in his rehab from a turf toe injury when he ran routes at full speed in practice on Wednesday. It’s a promising sign for the wide receiver’s availability on Sunday against the Chargers after missing the past four games.
“It’s huge,” Adams said via the Athletic’s Matt Schneidman. “Because once you can push off and get out of your stance, you can stride out and really run the way you could when you were healthy. That’s how I’m feeling now.”
- Packers HC Matt LaFleur said there were “no guarantees” that Adams would play this week and he would likely have some physical rust to knock off when he does come back. (Ryan Wood)
The Vikings are set to get CB Holton Hill back from two suspensions that totaled eight games this week, as the second-year corner practiced Wednesday and likely will be activated later this week. His return puts the Vikings secondary at full strength for the first time this season.
“He’s a talented guy,” Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said via ESPN’s Courtney Cronin. “He’s got the size, the length and speed. There were times he played pretty well last year. Like I’ve said before, you can never have enough corners and we’ve got one sitting there for a while. You never know. We’ve been fairly healthy but you never know what’s going to happen after eight weeks.”
- Cronin adds the Vikings fielded some interest in CBs Trae Waynes and Xavier Rhodes at the trade deadline.
- WR Adam Thielen would do some work at practice this week and has a “good chance” at returning this week against the Chiefs from his hamstring injury last week. (Cronin)
- Vikings S Jayron Kearse was charged with carrying and possessing a pistol without a permit, carrying a pistol while under the influence of alcohol, operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, operating a motor vehicle with an alcohol concentration of .08 or above within two hours and careless driving. (Chris Tomasson)