- The Athletic’s Matt Barrows writes that 49ers LB Kwon Alexander‘s experience could give him the lead for the second starting off-ball linebacker position ahead of LB Dre Greenlaw.
- Barrows adds there are two more spots at linebacker completely up for grabs between Mark Nzeocha, Azeez Al-Shaair, Joe Walker and Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles.
- Barrows mentions there have been reports that 49ers CB Ahkello Witherspoon is still growing and will enter 2020 bigger and taller than in 2019. He’ll compete with Emmanuel Moseley for the No. 2 outside corner position.
- Barrows notes 49ers CBs Jason Verrett and Tim Harris have a chance to stick on the roster if they can prove they’re healthy.
- 49ers S D.J. Reed is expected to miss the first half of the season after his torn pectoral injury. Reed was the top reserve at slot corner and new 49ers CB Jamar Taylor had his best season playing nickel with the Browns, per Barrows.
“I’m not too concerned about signing an extension currently. That’ll come in due time. Right now I’m focused on everyday getting in the best shape of my life to help this team play winning football. Everything else will run its course. Stay safe, wash your hands, wear a mask.”
The NFC South is shaping up to be a heavyweight fight between the Saints, Buccaneers and their two Hall of Fame quarterbacks Drew Brees and Tom Brady. No team got more hype this offseason than Tampa Bay after adding Brady to an already incendiary offense and improving defense. Saints CB Janoris Jenkins said they were just focusing on themselves at the moment, but noted the teams could look very different when they actually take the field against each other Week 1.
“We only worry about the New Orleans Saints,” Jenkins said in an interview on NFL Network’s ‘Good Morning Football’. “We’re not worried about nobody right now. We gonna take it one game at a time, one play at a time and just get better and compete every week. We understand, as you mentioned, that Tampa Bay got some new weapons, new quarterback. It’s paper, you gotta produce on the field. We just worry about the New Orleans Saints at the moment.”