While he lacked confidence, fumbling twice as a punt returner during his rookie season, 49ers WR Dante Pettis will find himself with a larger role this year due to the injuries sustained by receivers Deebo Samuel and Richie James. This includes the possibility of being forced back into returning punts, which Pettis was known for in college, and must improve on during training camp.
“He knows that,” HC Kyle Shanahan said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports. “I think he’s got a chance to be (the punt returner). But we felt more comfortable with Richie. And I hope Dante tries to take that job from him. It’s his decision. He’s got to show it.”
The past two years, the ecosystem around Rams QB Jared Goff has been close to perfect and the young passer has thrived as a result. With the addition of HC Sean McVay and a bevy of talent along the offensive line and skill positions, Goff had 60 touchdown passes to just 19 interceptions along with a Super Bowl appearance in the two years before 2019.
But the situation around Goff deteriorated last year and he failed to elevate his surrounding cast. He had just 22 touchdown passes and a career-high 16 interceptions. The Rams brought on OC Kevin O’Connell this offseason but their biggest hope is for Goff to take more ownership of the details of their offense and take another step in his development.
“There’s a layer going into his fifth year, his fourth year in the offense, of ownership, where you feel strongly about presenting him with a plan where he could truly have some ownership, while also understanding at the end of the day, it’s just about being great with the details of doing his job,” O’Connell said via Stu Jackson of the team’s official website.
- Former NFL GM and analyst for the Athletic Michael Lombardi writes the most obvious question for the Rams in 2020 is if they can improve their running game to not fall behind the sticks on first down.
- Lombardi adds Goff must also improve on deep throws, as he was 26th in the NFL with a 30 percent completion percentage and passer rating of 60 on throws 20 yards and further. In 2018, Goff ranked 9th with a 104.5 rating.
- NFL Media’s Gil Brandt thinks the Seahawks make a lot of sense as a potential trade destination for Jets S Jamal Adams, as it would give Seattle the type of enforcer in the secondary they’ve been missing since Kam Chancellor.
- NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo says there’s a strong sense the Seahawks will take a chance to upgrade at wideout, whether it’s signing WR Antonio Brown or bringing back WR Josh Gordon.
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson would reportedly love for the team to sign Brown and Seattle has had internal discussions about the veteran, though he faces a potential suspension. (NFLTR)