- Per Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune, Bears LB Danny Trevathan says the team will miss DT Eddie Goldman who opted out of the 2020 season: “Man, Eddie is such a huge part of this defense. … We’re definitely missing a key part.”
Entering the final year of his rookie contract, Lions WR Kenny Golladay is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and upped his receiving touchdown total to 11 in 2019. He’s one of the better receivers in the NFL but Lions OC Darrell Bevell said they’ve been emphasizing what Golladay can do in 2020 to become one the best, period.
“He had a really nice year last year for us and we hope he continues to have many more like that,” Bevell said via Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website. “There’s specific things that we’re talking to him that he can take his game to the next level. Really, you want him to be thought of with the Hopkins and Thomas and those type of players, where he is really dictating to the defense how they have to cover him.
“Sometimes that’s where that guy gets double covered, he’s worried about all the time, and you help your teammates. But when you’re in that go-to opportunity, and that’s the guy, and it’s like everyone knows Kenny Golladay’s getting the ball and everyone knows he’s still going to make the play. That’s really where we’re trying to get him to, be that dominant-level player.”
- The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia outlines six possible trades that could still happen this year, including the Eagles dealing CB Sidney Jones to the Lions for LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin.
- Kapadia writes the Lions need help at corner and Jones has a lot of potential even if he hasn’t reached it in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, Reeves-Maybin is on the roster bubble for the Lions.
- The Patriots traded a conditional 2022 seventh-round pick to the Lions in exchange for CB Michael Jackson. (Howard Balzer)
- The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia outlines six possible trades that could still happen this year, including the Panthers trading WR Curtis Samuel to the Packers for a fourth-round pick.
- Kapadia says Samuel would provide a big boost of speed and versatility to Green Bay’s offense.
- Per the Athletic’s Matt Schneidman, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says the financial uncertainty this offseason has complicated extension talks for players like DT Kenny Clark, LT David Bakhtiari, RB Aaron Jones, C Corey Linsley and CB Kevin King: “Priorities haven’t changed, but it has made it a little more difficult.”
- Gutekunst is thrilled to have Packers WR Equanimeous St. Brown slated to return to practice this Saturday after missing nearly all of 2019 with an ankle injury: “We’re really bullish on him.” (Schneidman)
- Packers WR Allen Lazard is aware of how the public views Green Bay’s receiving corps as a weakness: “Honestly we kind of laugh at it. It just shows the little knowledge of the value we bring to the team.” (Schneidman)
- The Packers submitted a waiver claim for former Eagles DT Bruce Hector but were behind the Panthers in the order. (Mike Jones)