- Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians said Friday that WR Chris Godwin practiced the majority of the week: “It was good to see him out there because people don’t realize how big a part of our offense he is.”
- Arians mentioned that they will keep that their 53rd spot on roster open until last minute to make sure they have depth at the right positions. (Greg Auman)
- Greg Auman of The Athletic tosses out Jets DT Steve McLendon as a speculative trade target for the Buccaneers to keep an eye on. However, he thinks the odds of Tampa Bay making a deal before the deadline are “low.”
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 6: CB Carlton Davis (abdomen), DT Khalil Davis (ankle), RB Leonard Fournette (ankle)
- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell outlines a potential trade between the Falcons and Seahawks, with Atlanta dealing C Alex Mack and DE Takkarist McKinley to Seattle for C B.J. Finney and a 2021 sixth-round pick.
- Barnwell notes neither Mack nor McKinley figure to be in Atlanta’s long-term plans and would fill needs for the contending Seahawks.
- Falcons interim HC Raheem Morris explained the decision to retain Dirk Koetter as the offensive coordinator: “He’s been a coordinator for a long time at a high level. A guy I respect a lot, learned a lot from over the last year and a half. I look forward to working with him these 11 games and trying to be our very best self.” (Jason Butt)
- OUT for Week 6: S Jaylinn Hawkins (concussion), DE Takkarist McKinley (groin)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 6: John Cominsky (illness)
Panthers HC Matt Rhule is clearly impressed with what they’ve seen from QB Teddy Bridgewater this season.
“Teddy is elite at knowing where to go with the ball,” said Rhule, via the Charlotte Observer. “He’s one of the best pocket movement guys I’ve ever been around. . . . And he’s so smart. He has tremendous expectation and understanding of what we’re trying to do.”
- David Newton mentions that with the Panthers not activating RB Christian McCaffrey (high ankle sprain) from injured reserve this week, it seems unlikely he will be ready for next week’s game against the Saints. Newton says Week 8’s game against the Falcons could be a more realistic time for McCaffrey to return.
- Joe Person of The Athletic mentions that the Panthers made veteran WR Seth Roberts available for trade before the season, so it wouldn’t come as a big surprise if Carolina continued to shop him leading up to the deadline.
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 6: CB Eli Apple (hamstring), CB Donte Jackson (toe), DT Zach Kerr (toe), WR Curtis Samuel (knee)
- Katherine Terrell of The Athletic writes that Saints DT Sheldon Rankins is worth keeping an eye on as a potential trade candidate leading up to the deadline.
- Rankins was reportedly available for trade a few months ago and Terrell mentions that the Saints have signed David Onyemata to an extension and Rankins is in line to be an unrestricted free agent next year. Beyond that, she thinks there’s “little chance” of Rankins re-signing with New Orleans.