- Greg Auman of The Athletic notes several rising players among the Buccaneers in training camp, including rookie S Antoine Winfield Jr., TE O.J. Howard, CB Parnell Motley, LB Chapelle Russell.
- Among those not having a strong camp, Auman lists K Matt Gay, WR Tyler Johnson, QB Ryan Griffin, RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn, and S Justin Evans.
Falcons OC Dirk Koetter said he’d be comfortable starting third-round Matt Hennessy at left guard, but he must earn the first-team role.
”I’ll be comfortable with whoever our starting LG is vs. Seattle because he’ll be our starting LG. [Hennessy] is off to a good start. You know, he’s a rookie. He’s got things to learn,’’ said Koetter, via Vaughn McClure.
Falcons HC Dan Quinn said they are not interested in signing S Earl Thomas given they are comfortable safety.
“He is absolutely one of my favorite all-time competitors. I love the guy, but at this time, that’s a position that we’re not looking to add to,” said Quinn, via Michael Giardi.
- D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Consitution lists five veterans on the Falcons’ roster bubble including: QB Matt Schaub, WR Laquon Treadwell, G James Carpenter, S J.J. Wilcox and DT Deadrin Senat.
- Quinn identified assistant HC/LB coach Jeff Ulbrich as a potential future head coach or defensive coordinator. (McClure)
- Falcons S Damontae Kazee notes he’s been rotating so much with fellow safeties Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen that it’s hard to peg who the starters are for Atlanta. (Kelsey Conway)
- Per ESPN’s Mike Triplett, Saints WR Tre’Quan Smith says he’s hopeful being past last year’s ankle injury will help him in 2020. He recognizes how big the third year is for receivers, but he’s trying to treat it like any other: “I gotta treat it like any other year. The future isn’t promised.”
- Saints waived DB Tino Ellis from injured reserve with a settlement. (NFLTR)