- Mike Jurecki points out that if/when the Cardinals move on from DB Tyrann Mathieu, second-year S Budda Baker will play a lot in the box for Arizona next season along with Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick.
- Last week, Mathieu told the NFL Network that he and his agent spoke with the team on Thursday and they asked him to accept a pay cut. (NFLTR)
- Ian Rapoport reported that Mathieu is being asked to take a “large pay cut” that’s based on his expected role in their new defense. According to Rapoport, Mathieu could very well end up being a free agent in the coming days.
Citing a league source, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that the Lions were “strongly motivated” to pursue CB Richard Sherman before agreed to a three-year contract with the 49ers on Saturday.
Florio says it’s unclear if the Lions would have offered more than Sherman got from the 49ers, but some believe he should have at least visited with the Lions to increase his leverage with the 49ers.
Although, Florio admits that the 49ers could have countered by threatening to move on to other options if left San Francisco.
- Michael Rothstein doesn’t think it would make a lot of sense for the Lions to trade TE Eric Ebron and then turn around and sign Jimmy Graham in free agency. Rothstein points out that the production is similar between the two players with Graham having a decent edge over Ebron in touchdowns. However, Ebron is seven years younger than Graham, so unless they’re able to get a good return for Ebron in a trade, it could be better to hold onto him.
- Rothstein isn’t sure DeMarco Murray would make a lot of sense for the Lions, even though they clearly need an early-down back.
- As for the cornerback position, Rothstein believes Detroit should add one or two this offseason. Although, he thinks it’s unlikely the Lions will add any big-name options.
- Tom Silverstein of PackersNews.com considers CB Trumaine Johnson, DT Sheldon Richardson, DT Dontari Poe, TE Jimmy Graham, and G Andrew Norwell to all be “too pricey” for the Packers in free agency.
- While it’s still going to be expensive, Silverstein lists DE Muhammad Wilkerson, CB Patrick Robinson, CB Aaron Colvin, CB Rashaan Melvin, and TE Trey Burton as more moderately priced free agent options for Green Bay.
- Silverstein’s list of “bargain” options for the Packers to consider includes WR Paul Richardson, CB Bashaud Breeland, OLB Trent Murphy, DE Denico Autry, ILB Tahir Whitehead, ILB Zach Brown, CB E.J. Gaines, CB Morris Claiborne, S Corey Graham, and ILB Demario Davis.