Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy said that the decision to release DT Dontari Poe will open up some opportunities for other players.
“I mean really, my view is based on evaluation, going through everything each and every day,” McCarthy said, via Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. “You look at all the variables involved in what it takes for players to be successful. But at the end of the day, we feel this decision gives a number of guys more opportunities. We want to feel the impact of particularly some of these young guys getting more snaps, so that’s the direction I’m going.”
- Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy said Friday that QB Andy Dalton is still in concussion protocol and they are preparing as if Ben DiNucci is going to start Sunday at Philadelphia: “He’s a confident young man. He has a lot of tools to work with.” (Jon Machota)
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Friday that Dalton should be ready to go next week: “There’s no question that he’s your ticket. I would expect him to be available and, under these circumstances, be very productive.” (Jon Machota)
- Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said Friday that more roster moves aren’t planned, but they still have “a few things in play” in regards to next week’s trade deadline. (Jon Machota)
- Jones said of HC Mike McCarthy and the team’s coaching staff: “We feel good about our staff and where we are headed.” (Jon Machota)
- As for Cowboys QB Ben DiNucci, Jones said: “You certainly like his movement. He’s a good athlete. He’s got 10-inch hands. He can get his hands around the ball. He can sling it from a lot of angles. Reminds me a little Romo-esque in how he can relase the ball from different angles.” (Jon Machota)
- The Cowboys are working out WR Chris Lacy. (Aaron Wilson)
- DOUBTFUL for Week 8: QB Andy Dalton (concussion)
- Mike Kaye believes the Eagles would do themselves a disservice by trading S Will Parks unless they were able to receive at least a fifth-round pick, a veteran running back, or a veteran linebacker in return.
- Kaye also theorizes that in order to trade Parks, the Eagles likely believe in safeties K’Von Wallace, Marcus Epps, and Rudy Ford.
- The Philadelphia Eagles are bringing in DT Anthony Rush and LB Rashad Smith for visits, according to Aaron Wilson.
- OUT for Week 8: T Jack Driscoll (ankle), CB Craig James (hamstring), WR Alshon Jeffery (calf), CB Cre’von LeBlanc (quadricep), RB Miles Sanders (knee)
- Jordan Raanan reports that Giants RB Saquon Barkley‘s knee surgery is scheduled for Friday, which is 40 days after suffering the injury. The plan is to repair Barkley’s ACL and perform some meniscus cleanup.
- According to Ralph Vacchiano, Giants rookie G Shane Lemieux is likely to start for Will Hernandez on Monday night.
- The New York Giants are bringing in veteran G Kenny Wiggins for a visit, according to Aaron Wilson.