“But I’ll say this to anyone. Remember the two buzzards sitting on the limb and one’s got his neck turned around looking at the other and says, ‘Patience my ass. I’m going to kill something.’ As they surveyed the landscape,” Jones said, via Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News. “I’m not really demeaning patience. You’ve got to have it, I guess. But the bottom line is that when it’s there, take it, and when it’s not there sometimes we’ll rustle it up.”
Jones went on to say that RG Zack Martin is “unlikely” to return from his calf injury in time for Week 17 but could see him potentially returning for the playoffs should they secure a spot.
“It’s unlikely that we can have him this week,” Jones said, via Watkins. “In the future, we could push it and it would give us a dramatic upgrade and it really is the reason for a real optimistic thought about what happens if we could get in the playoffs. It’s a real, valid, tangible thing to hang your hat on. He could really change what we look like out there.”
- Per the Athletic’s Zach Berman, Eagles HC Doug Pederson clarified he doesn’t want more control over personnel: “By no means, I don’t want to cross that line.”
- Eagles designated G Brandon Brooks and LB Davion Taylor to return from injured reserve. (NFLTR)
Giants’ HC Joe Judge reiterated that he believes Daniel Jones is “absolutely” the organization’s long-term quarterback.
“You always want to know about, ‘Is Daniel our guy? Are we going forward with Daniel?'” Judge said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. “The answer is: Absolutely.”
- Per ESPN’s Jordan Raanan, Judge didn’t seem optimistic that WR Golden Tate (calf) will play this week. He was more encouraged about OLB Kyler Fackrell (calf) and TE Evan Engram (ankle), though.
- Giants DB Logan Ryan said “it was beyond the money” as to why he re-signed with the team. (Zack Rosenblatt)
- Per Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post, Washington HC Ron Rivera commented on the decision to cut QB Dwayne Haskins: “I felt it was time to make the move.”
- Rivera said he had the backing of owner Dan Snyder, who notably pushed for the team to draft Haskins in 2019: “I made the decision. I informed the owner of my decision. He was supportive and it was just something I felt we had to do. It was something I felt was in the best interest of both parties.” (Jhabvala)
- Rivera noted the goal for this week is to see improvement from QB Alex Smith‘s calf this week. Otherwise, the reps will go to QB Taylor Heinicke and he’ll start Week 17’s must-win game against the Eagles. (JP Finlay)
- Smith is optimistic he’ll be able to go after being close last week: “I felt really close. I got a lot in on Friday … and that was my mindset all week to be really open and honest with everybody.” (Jhabvala)