- Cowboys’ HC Mike McCarthy said LT Tyron Smith is testing the waters in practice to see how his neck injury is coming along. Meanwhile, DE DeMarcus Lawrence is still rehabbing a pesky knee injury but is expected to play on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. (Ed Werder)
- McCarthy is hopeful that Smith can be active in practice on Thursday: “I like the work he accomplished yesterday in practice. He’s slated to go today and we’ll see what that brings us.” (Jon Machota)
- If Smith returns against the Browns, the Cowboys will have the option to choose between Terence Steele and Brandon Knight to replace injured RT La’El Collins at right tackle. McCarthy believes that both players have taken advantage of their opportunities: “We’ll take the week to figure it out. I think both those guys have hit the mark.” (Michael Gehlken)
- Cowboys’ G Zack Martin will return to playing right guard this week after filling in for Steele at right tackle. (Todd Archer)
- McCarthy opened up about the situation involving LB Randy Gregory: “He’s making progress. We haven’t made that determination if he will practice on Oct 5, but based on where he is today and just going off what they told me about him in the past, everybody feels good about his conditioning.” (Calvin Watkins)
- Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy said LT Tyron Smith (neck) is “on track to play. He did everything yesterday” that was set out for him: “I think we’re definitely heading in the direction of him playing on Sunday.” (Michael Gehlken)
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he expects Tyron Smith (neck), DeMarcus Lawrence (knee) and Trevon Diggs (knee/shoulder) to play Sunday against the Browns: “It’s certainly looking like we’ll have them available.” (Jon Machota)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 4: CB Trevon Diggs (shoulder, knee), T Tyron Smith (neck)
- Regarding Ertz, Kempski lists the Bills, Patriots and Colts are three teams that could make sense as trade partners.
- As for Cox, Kempski can see the Bills, Ravens and Patriots as good fits.
- Kempski writes that Jackson may only net the Eagles a Day 3 pick, but since he’s hurt, it’s fair to wonder if any team would be willing to trade for him at this point.
- Jeffery hasn’t had trade value for a few years now. Kempski mentions that the Eagles could really use him on the field right now considering the injuries they’re dealing with at receiver and their overall lack of depth at the position. Beyond that, Kempski points out that if the Eagles could get Jeffery back on the field and feed him the ball, there’s at least a remote chance he could build up some trade to get him off the books.
- Despite missing a week of practice, Eagles HC Doug Pederson said he’s “optimistic” about WR Desean Jackson. (Zach Berman)
- Eagles RB Miles Sanders said of his glute injury: “I feel great. Ready to go for Sunday night, prime time…100 percent.” (Tim McManus)
- OUT for Week 4: WR DeSean Jackson (hamstring), WR Alshon Jeffery (foot), CB Avonte Maddox (ankle), CB Trevor Williams (rib)
- DOUBTFUL for Week 4: WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (calf)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 4: T Jason Peters (foot)
JP Finlay of NBC Washington reports that Ron Rivera met with Dwayne Haskins this week to make it clear to Haskins that needs to start showing improvement as a disappointing Week 3 performance against the Browns.
Sources have told Finlay that Rivera explained that while Haskins has a lot of talent and showed significant growth this offseason, his play up to this point still hasn’t been to the level they’re looking for.
Finlay spoke with one source who mentioned that Haskins cannot continue to struggle if he wants to remain the starting quarterback.
According to Finlay, the tone of the meeting between Haskins and offensive coaches made it clear that he needs to play better.
- Washington DC Jack Del Rio says that CB Fabian Moreau‘s decreased snaps were a result of the team wanting to play larger defenders due to the matchup. (Rhiannon Walker)
- Del Rio also commented on if HC Ron Rivera is expected to coach Sunday: “I’m prepared at any point to step in, even in the middle of the game if it were to happen. But it’s my understanding that he will be ready to go.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- OUT for Week 4: LB Cole Holcomb (knee), WR Steven Sims (toe), DE Chase Young (groin)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 4: DE Ryan Anderson (ankle), WR Terry McLaurin (thigh), T Morgan Moses (hip), LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (illness)