- In an agent survey by the Athletic’s Ben Standig, some thought it was surprising the Cowboys and QB Dak Prescott have not reached a long-term deal yet: “I don’t love the franchise tag, but I would love to be Dak Prescott. I think he’s in the best situation of anyone.”
- Another agent added: “Not getting a long-term deal done with Dak Prescott (was surprising). Big miss for Dallas.”
- ESPN’s Todd Archer lists Cowboys P Chris Jones as a veteran player in danger of being cut this preseason.
- Adam Caplan notes that the asking price of free agent Jadeveon Clowney would need to come down in order for him to potentially sign with the Eagles.
- Jimmy Kempski of the Philly Voice writes that six sources have confirmed to him that the general sense inside the team is that Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery is the anonymous teammate who criticized QB Carson Wentz to ESPN.
- While Kempski notes the Eagles would likely give up Jeffery for very little in a trade, the team is unlikely to outright cut him as they think he could still be useful and they’re paying him no matter what.
- Kempski does bring up the possibility of the Eagles packaging a late-round pick to get another team to eat Jeffery’s cap space but adds Philadelphia would have a hard time even then finding a buyer.
- According to the Athletic’s Zach Berman, the Eagles re-signed former LT Jason Peters to replace Brandon Brooks as the starter at right guard.
- While the Eagles still intend to move forward with 2019 first-rounder Andre Dillard at left tackle and say signing Peters doesn’t change that, Berman notes the Eagles do think Peters could fill adeptly in as a swing tackle in case of injury.
- The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia notes it’s far from a safe assumption that Peters can make a successful transition to guard, noting he’ll have limited practice time. But Peters does offer more experience.
- Kapadia also brings up the possibility that bringing back Peters has Dillard looking over his shoulder and hurts his confidence. The Eagles have shown they’re willing to bench players on the offensive line.
- The Athletic’s Bo Wulf adds that while Peters must be on board with changing positions to some level in order to sign, he points out Peters is a prideful player and still believes he’s one of the best left tackles in the league.
- John Keim of ESPN reports that there is unlikely to be a deal between Washington and RG Brandon Scherff prior to the deadline.
- Scherff has made three Pro Bowls but has missed a combined 13 games the last two seasons with injuries and will count $15.03 million towards the team’s cap this season
- Dan Graziano of ESPN adds that it doesn’t make a lot of sense for Scherff to sign while the franchise tag price for guards is the same as it is for tackles.
- ESPN’s John Keim lists Washington LB Josh Harvey-Clemons as a veteran player in danger of being cut this preseason.
- Washington WR Kelvin Harmon suggested his torn ACL happened about a month ago. (Twitter)
- Free-agent WR Jarius Wright is a potential addition given Washington’s depth issues at wide receiver, as he has experience in the same system from the past two years in Carolina. (Ben Standig)
- Washington hired former Panthers director of college scouting Eric Stokes as their new director of pro scouting. (Adam Schefter)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!