- Per NFL Media’s Jane Slater, Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy is optimistic QB Andy Dalton will return next week.
- Cowboys P Chris Jones will miss multiple weeks after undergoing core muscle surgery. (Jon Machota)
- Jones will be replaced as punter and holder by Hunter Niswander. (Todd Archer)
- Cowboys CB Chidobe Awuzie will practice again this week and McCarthy says the goal is to activate him from IR: “Hopefully he’s a week better. He’s going to have to show it all week for me to give you a nod on whether he’s going to play or not.” (Michael Gehlken)
Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.tv reports that two NFL scouts have had good things to say about the future of the New York Giants.
“The Giants are a team you don’t want to play right now,” said the scout. “They are well-coached. They play tough defense. And they have more good pieces than most people think.”
“They feel like they’re on the verge of putting something together,” a second scout said. “It may not be imminent. They’re not a year away from a Super Bowl. But this is really the first time in years they’ve looked like they’re headed in the right direction.”
“There have been some head-scratchers, but if you look at the end result, this looks like the best team he’s had,” one of the scouts said. “I know the results aren’t there. But that defense has some players on it. They don’t have a pass-rusher, and that’s a huge problem. But if he’s able to find one this offseason, that would change everything for them.”
An anonymous NFL executive also weighed in on the Giants’ current situation.
“Look, they’re still a few years away from that,” said the NFL executive. “But maybe they do have a few of those pieces. They probably have a franchise quarterback. They’ve got Saquon. They’ve got good receivers. (James Bradberry) might be the best corner in the NFL right now. (Blake) Martinez and (Kyler) Fackrell are the best linebackers they’ve had in years. I don’t know if they’ll keep Leonard Williams, but right now, with him, that (defensive) front is hard to run on. And they’ve got a coach who has them believing they can win every game. If it were me, it would come down to the quarterback and that offensive line. That line has never been good. Do I believe it will be? And do I think Jones will be good when he gets some blocking? If I do, then you figure next year with Barkley back and maybe you find a pass rusher somewhere, then suddenly yes, you could make the argument that you’re on the right track.”
- Giants HC Joe Judge said he talked with WR Golden Tate about the events of the past two days with the veteran and his wife publicly vocalizing discontent about his role. Tate did not participate in Wednesday’s walkthrough. (Art Stapleton)
- Judge doesn’t expect the Giants to get back OLB Oshane Ximines from injured reserve until possible after the bye. (Dan Duggan)
Regarding the Packers reportedly being interested in acquiring Texas WR Will Fuller, HC Matt LaFleur said he does not think discussions ever got “that serious.”
“I don’t know if anything ever got that serious,” LaFleur said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.
As for the Packers’ front-office allegedly having a disagreement, LaFleur said he’s been in “constant communication” with GM Brian Gutekunst and has always been on the “same page” with him.
“I have no idea where anything like that would ever come from,” LaFleur said. “We’re in constant communication, we’re on the same page and there is no truth to that. I promise you that.”
Packers WR Davante Adams said that he didn’t think they needed to acquire another receiver at the deadline.
“I wouldn’t say we necessarily need to, because I think we’ve shown what we can do,” Adams said. “When I went down, guys stepped up and did what they had to do. Stepped up big. I wouldn’t say it’s a need. Obviously, I’ve said this before, I don’t think it’s any secret that could help us potentially. I wouldn’t be opposed to it. It could help us. But I definitely got full faith and trust in my guys here to be able to get it done.”