- According to Zach Berman, Eagles HC Doug Pederson says DB Avonte Maddox will continue to work at both slot and outside cornerback and didn’t rule out Maddox still playing safety.
- Pederson said CBs Cre’Von LeBlanc and Sidney Jones would also compete for the slot corner role.
- Eagles WR Braxton Miller was the first player Pederson mentioned when asked about depth at wide receiver. Miller will compete with WRs Mack Hollins and Shelton Gibson.
The Falcons will be counting on DEs Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley to step up and provide consistent production this season. Beasley led the league with 15.5 sacks in 2016 but has recorded only five sacks apiece each of the past two years.
“We’ve had some production and one year of really good production,” HC Dan Quinn said of Beasley via Kelsey Conway of the official team site. “We’re going to work like crazy to get the things that he does best out in the forefront to help our team play like we’re capable of.”
McKinley enters his third season still looking to put it all together. Quinn says he’s looking for “consistency in his preparation and practice.”
- According to NFL Draft Report’s Dave-Te’ Thomas, one of the rumors circling around the NFL’s spring meetings is a potential trade between the Falcons and Lions.
- In the scenario, Falcons would move from No. 14 up to Detroit’s pick at No. 8 to hopefully select Houston DT Ed Oliver, while the Lions would have their sights set on Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson.
- Thomas says it would likely cost the Falcons a third-rounder and another late-round pick to move up.
- Falcons LB De’Vondre Campbell tells Chris Tomasson that he’s hopeful of getting a contract extension done: “Any time you’re in a situation that I’m in coming into a contract year you kind of want to know what you’re getting into I think I’m playing pretty well I’ve just got to continue to get better every year.“
“It happened pretty quickly,” Payton said, via the Saints’ Facebook page. “Look, I’m excited for Mark’s opportunity. He’s been a tremendous, tremendous player for us and leader for us.
“It was frustrating because I felt there was little dialogue. At least usually, I’m able to visit with the player, and I wasn’t able to, so the ends and outs specifically to how that unfolded still to me are a little bit cloudy. Tried texting him, tried calling him, direct message. He texted me back, and then the next day we weren’t able to speak.”
- Payton said free-agent WR Dez Bryant is still “rehabbing” and would not comment on his future with the team: “I just know he’s been rehabbing. I wouldn’t be able to forecast the future relative to Dez.” (Charean Williams)
- Tony Pauline reports that Utah State TE Dax Raymond had a private workout with the Saints which was run by assistant HC Dan Campbell, and will take an official visit o New Orleans.
- Weber State OL Iosua Opeta met with the Saints on Tuesday night.