- David Moore reports that the Cowboys want RB coach Gary Brown to return and are working to make that happen.
- Ian Rapoport reported yesterday that Brown, who’s a free agent, could depart for a job on Jon Gruden’s staff with the Raiders.
Jordan Raanan of ESPN ranks the head coaching candidates for the Giants from most likely to least likely to be hired. Here’s how Raanan views the Giants’ search as of today:
- Panthers DC Steve Wilks
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels
- Patriots DC Matt Patricia
- Eagles DC Jim Schwartz
- Vikings OC Pat Shurmur
- Former Broncos assistant HC Eric Studesville
- Giants interim HC Steve Spagnuolo
- According to Bob McGinn, it looks like the Packers will hire Russ Ball as their GM and Briant Gutekunst as their executive vice president.
- McGinn adds that this sets up a situation where HC Mike McCarthy will have to decide whether he wants to continue coaching the Packers or not.
- McGinn mentions hiring Ball could cause friction with McCarthy, even though they have both worked together for some time now.
- A source tells McGinn: “Russ and Mike were really tight, but they’ve not seen eye-to-eye in a couple of years.” (Acmepackingcompany.com)
- A separate source tells McGinn that McCarthy told his staff Thursday that he “planned to leave Green Bay for another job” if they actually hired Ball.
- Jason Wilde has also heard that QB Aaron Rodgers doesn’t like the idea of the team hiring Ball as GM>
- Tom Silverstein reports that the odds of former OC Edgar Bennett moving on “look pretty strong.“
- Following the comments made by Packers HC Mike McCarthy Thursday, Ryan Wood mentions that it’s clear backup QB Brett Hundley will have competition in training camp next year.
- Rob Demovsky reports that the Packers brought in G Jordan McCray, who happens to be the brother of current OL Justin McCray, for a tryout.
- Nicki Jhabvala reports that Broncos assistant Phil Rauscher is close to becoming the Redskins’ assistant offensive line coach.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!