The Falcons signed K Blair Walsh last week after a shaky start to camp and preseason by presumed K Giorgio Tavecchio, who has been only 4-8 on field goals during the preseason. Walsh has had his rock moments as well, going 5-9 in a recent practice open to the media. Falcons HC Dan Quinn cautioned against reading too much into that, though.
“I’d be careful looking into that,” Quinn said via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s D. Orlando Ledbetter. “That’s a dangerous subject to go through because yesterday we had some and today. I’ll go back and look through, but I would say be careful at looking at one thing from practice. We don’t usually give out stats. That’s a dangerous subject.”
Falcons owner Arthur Blank also weighed in on the team’s kicking situation.
“I’m sorry about Giorgio, but his life isn’t over, either,” Blank said via ESPN’s Vaughn McClure. “He had a great year for us last year, 5-of-5 including some long field goals. This preseason, he’s missed half his field goals. Why? I don’t know. I think, in many cases, he’s hit the ball well. I’m not sure what’s closing off the mark, or whether or not Blair Walsh is the right answer for us. I trust (GM) Thomas (Dimitroff) and Dan and the special teams coach to make the right choice on that.”
Blank also added he has fond memories of long-time Falcons K Matt Bryant, who remains unsigned as a free agent after kicking for Atlanta for the past ten years.
“If you don’t have good memories of Matt Bryant, then there’s something wrong with you,” Blank said. “The guy has won a lot of games for us and, under intense pressure, has always performed very well.”
- According to the Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue, the Panthers don’t expect K Graham Gano to be able to kick in Thursday’s Week 4 preseason game.
- Gano has not yet kicked during the preseason after the knee he had offseason surgery on flared up during camp.
- Panthers signed LS Andrew DePaola. (NFLTR)
Panthers waived LB Jonathan Celestin and OT Norman Price from injured reserve with settlements.
- Ramon Antonio Vargas reports that Saints CB P.J. Williams pled guilty to a reduced charge after a DWI arrest from this past January.
- Williams was ordered to pay a $340 fine after pleading guilty to the lesser charge.