Falcons HC Dan Quinn said the coaching staff is trying to figure out the defensive issues that they can coach.
“We started last week looking at all of the stats part of it, something you don’t want to do,” Quinn said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constiution. “We went back through all of the games and said which issues are we having that we can get coached and get corrected to go.”
Quinn feels that the Falcons’ defense did better with a “number of techniques” in Week 6 despite giving up some big plays.
“Although there were two or three explosive plays that were in the zones, there were actually a number of techniques that were actually played quite a bit better,” Quinn said. “We are going to push on that again (Wednesday).”
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer mentions Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu as a potential trade candidate, as Sanu is a veteran on a losing team who will be a free agent after the 2020 season.
- The Athletic’s Joe Person writes that an extension for RB Christian McCaffrey and new deals for LB Shaq Thompson and CB James Bradberry will likely rank at or near the top of the Panthers’ priority list this offseason.
- Person adds Panthers GM Marty Hurney typically doesn’t negotiate contracts during the season, which means Thompson and Bradberry will need to wait until 2020 for new deals.
“I’ve graduated to the NFL ball,” Brees said. “I have a really kind of disciplined plan for what I need to do for strength and flexibility and then my throwing and all that stuff. So really starting to get back into it, doing football stuff, and just trying to get back as quick as I can.”
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes Brees, who’s entering the last year of his contract, has not made up his mind about his future.
- If Brees does not return for 2020 with New Orleans, Breer believes the Saints will go with some combination of Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill and a rookie quarterback.
- Tom Pelissero reports that Saints RB Alvin Kamara is dealing with a “high ankle-type issue” that will limit him in practice this week. Regardless, Pelissero notes that Kamara still feels he can play in Week 7.
- Saints HC Sean Payton said he had “no update” on Brees’ timetable for recovery: “No update. No update. He’s doing well.” (Amie Just)
- Saints worked out RBs Travaris Cadet, Benny Cunningham, and Marcus Murphy, while also working out TEs A.J. Derby and Cole Wick. (Howard Balzer)