- According to the Athletic’s Matt Barrows, 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo got more work during OTA’s than was expected when he initially tore his ACL last September.
- 49ers LB Elijah Lee is the top backup at middle linebacker and took all the first-team reps in the absence of Alexander and Warner. Rookie LB Dre Greenlaw also took first-team reps.
- Barrows says there are likely two spots left for David Mayo, Malcolm Smith and Mark Nzeocha to compete over to round out the linebacking corps.
- Barrows sees 49ers G Mike Person as the 1A to Joshua Garnett‘s 1B at right guard.
- Barrows expects 49ers K Robbie Gould to sign his franchise tag shortly before the regular season to make this his final year in San Francisco.
Cardinals QB Kyler Murray has already been compared to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson numerous times. It’s an easy comparison given both quarterbacks speed, deep accuracy, baseball background and, of course, height. But even people close to Wilson see the similarities.
“I see hundreds of similarities,” Cardinals G and former Seahawk J.R. Sweezy said via ESPN’s Josh Weinfuss. “I always say, we got to see this guy really play. I think he’s going to be just fine. But just to even be compared to Russell Wilson is a huge compliment. He’s going to back it up. I just love that he’s getting compared to him already and everything. He’s going to be great.”
So far, Murray has been impressing a number of his teammates during spring OTA’s and minicamp, making the Wilson comparison even easier.
“Kyler’s confident, and he’s not a cocky player,” Cardinals DE Chandler Jones said. “For him to be the first overall pick, he’s a very confident player. He’s composed. I can see him construct, I see him getting guys together in the huddle, and as a young guy, that’s something that I admire about him. He’s good at grabbing guys’ attention. I’m not sure how tall he is, but I see his little helmet and I see a little helmet in the huddle. He’s grabbing guys. I’m just, it’s impressive. He’s an impressive player.”
Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times posted an updated 53-man roster projection for the Seahawks.
- Some of the notable offensive roster cuts include: QB Paxton Lynch, RB C.J. Prosise, RB Bo Scarbrough, TE Ed Dickson, C Marcus Martin, WR Amara Darboh, and WR Keenan Reynolds.
- On the defensive side of the ball, Condotta has DL Nazair Jones, LB Shaquem Griffin, and CB Jamar Taylor among those on the chopping block.