- Matt Barrows mentions that high draft picks and veterans who have signed extensions with the 49ers aren’t guaranteed anything under the new regime.
- According to Barrows, former first-round G Joshua Garnett was mostly working with the second team offensive line last week at right guard while veteran addition Brandon Fusco saw time with the first-string unit.
- The 49ers confirmed that they’ve fielded trade offers for TE Vance McDonald, who agreed to a new extension late last season.
- Meanwhile, the coaching staff has said that veteran LB NaVorro Bowman will have to compete for a starting job this summer.
- San Francisco gave LB Ray-Ray Armstrong a two-year extension last season, but Barrows says that he’s gone from probable starter to possibly being just a third string weak-side linebacker.
The Cincinnati Bengals announced Levon Kirkland, Aaron Curry, Roderick Plummer, Tory Woodbury, and Jonathan Carr will work as interns for them this summer as part of the Bill Walsh minority coaching fellowship.
“I had the opportunity to work in this program when coach Walsh initiated it with the 49ers, and it’s great to see it continue as strong as it is,” Bengals HC Marvin Lewis said, via Pro Football Talk. “We are happy to have these coaches with us to benefit our staff as well as aid in their development as a coach.”
- Jets QB Josh McCown was taking the first-team reps during Tuesday’s OTA practice and looked sharp. (Rich Cimini)
- The Jets had Christian Hackenberg was working with the second team followed by Bryce Petty. (Brian Costello)
- Nick Underhill believes veteran LB Manti Te’o is going to be a “strong contender” for the Saints middle linebacker job along with A.J. Klein and former first-round pick Stephone Anthony.
- Speaking of Anthony, Underhill says that he has a lot prove this summer, given that he’s struggled since entering the league and hasn’t shown much as a special teams contributor.
- In regards to extensions for S Kenny Vaccaro and CB Delvin Breaux, Underhill would try to get deals worked out with both players right now if it was up to him.