- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Browns HC Mike Pettine doesn’t think Johnny Manziel has earned the right to start, and this happens to be a sentiment shared by a number of people within the organization.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Pettine’s refusal to play Manziel “may only hasten the coach’s own demise.”
Kevin Acee of the Union Tribune San Diego, citing three sources, reports that it’s unlikely that Chargers will fire GM Tom Telesco.
Instead, Chargers president John Spanos is more inclined to maintain continuity within the front office moving forward.
Acee does, however, mention that Spanos is conducting an evaluation over the remainder of the season that is more likely to result in changes to the team’s coaching staff than in the personnel department.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes the Dolphins will be able to clear tens of millions in cap space next year to address their roster needs.
As of now, the Dolphins are projected to have around $3 million, but Jackson mentions that this figure could grow to $45-$50 million in cap space, depending on what moves they make.
Cutting WR Greg Jennings will free up $4 million and moving on from TE Jordan Cameron would give them another $7.5 million to work with. According to Jackson, DT Ndamukong Suh and QB Ryan Tannehill are scheduled to count $40 million against the team’s cap, but Miami could approach them about restructuring their contracts.
The Dolphins will need to decide whether or not pursing extensions for DEs Olivier Vernon or Derrick Shelby along with RB Lamar Miller.
- Joe Lyons of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Wes Welker‘s one-year contract with the Rams included a $200,000 signing bonus to go along with a base salary of $456,471 for eight weeks.
- Welker can make an additional $300,000 by reaching incentives included in the contract.
- However, the Rams have told Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that Welker did not receive a signing bonus in his contract.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!