Albert Breer points out that cap space is a huge consideration when it comes to completing trades in the NFL. With this in mind, Breer offers the official cap figures for teams with the most and least cap space.
- Teams with the most include: CLE $50.2M, SF $42.0M, JAX $40.2M, TEN $24.3M, CAR $14.2M, WAS $13.9M, NE $9.7M, DEN $9.3M, GB $9.0M, PHI $9.0M, OAK $8.9M.
- Teams with the list include: SD $474K, LA $591K, MIN $615K, NYJ $1.5M, AZ $1.6M, ATL $2.5M, BAL $2.8M, DAL $2.9M, SEA $3.5M, PIT $3.6M, BUF $4.2M.
Former Patriots assistant Mike Lombardi mentioned during an interview with WEEI that LB Jamie Collins wasn’t playing all that well before the Patriots traded him to the Browns on Monday.
“Watch the tape. Watch him try to cover in the playoffs,” Lombardi said, via CSN New England. “Jamie has not played particularly well. That’s the reality.”
“Look, it’s not about his contract next year. Let’s forget that, all right? Because if he was playing at, as you call, the Pro Bowl level, as you believe he’s playing, they would keep him and use him,” Lombardi continued. “But if he’s playing at the level that I watch on tape, there is really nothing you can do. You’re better off trying to cut your losses, get something for him. It’s nothing about the extension. It’s not about next year.”
In regards to the report that the Patriots offered Collins a deal that would have paid him $11 million per year, Lombardi says that isn’t the case.
“I don’t think that’s accurate,” Lombardi said. “In fact, I know that’s not accurate. [Agent] Bus Cook said there’s been no discussion about his contract. So there’s no $11 million offer. There’s never been an offer of that, and Bus Cook admitted that.”
- Todd Archer of ESPN wonders if it would actually make more sense for the Cowboys to trade for a cornerback instead of a pass-rusher.
- Archer points out that Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne will both be free agents next year and it would make more sense to have a cornerback under contract for a few years than rent a pass-rusher. Archer mentions Browns CB Joe Haden as someone who has come up in trade rumors.
- According to Archer, the Jets have called the Cowboys about DL Sheldon Richardson but his contract and off-the-field issues are likely concerns for Dallas.
- Other pass-rushers who could be available, according to Archer, include Dolphins DE Cameron Wake and Bears OLB Willie Young.
- If the Cowboys do pursue a trade before the deadline, Archer wonders if they might cut LB Rolando McClain, as they would pick up $1.9 million of cap space.
- Archer wonders if Kellen Moore (injured reserve, broken fibula) may consider returning to the Cowboys next year as a coach or if he plans to continue his playing career.
Dolphins CB Chris Culliver (PUP, knee) tells Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that he’s ready to return and could play Sunday.
“I feel good; I can play Sunday,” said Culliver. “If I’m not activated, I’ll be mad. It would be a disappointment. I’m ready to rock.”