49ers executive VP of football operations Paraag Marathe, who oversees the team’s analytics department, mentioned that he expects to see a jump in production from Jarryd Hayne in 2016.
“I think you’ll see a jump from him,” Marathe said, via the San Jose Mercury News. “You look at elite athletes and those guys who have that willpower and desire to succeed and there’s something special in them. … The one thing that intrigued us the most about Jarryd Hayne was that will. It was that succeed-at-all-costs mentality that he had. That’s what really attracted us to him. So when we brought him in, one of the big things was: Is he going to have enough time to acclimate? Is he going to have enough time to figure the game out? He improved week after week after week.”
- Herbie Teope reports that the Chiefs have placed rookie C Ben Clarke on waivers Tuesday.
- Chiefs signed Fresno State DB Shannon Edwards.
- Chiefs signed OL Zach Sterup. (Brett Tessler)
- Joel Corry points out that if Eagles DL Fletcher Cox extends his absence through June’s mandatory three-day minicamp, Philadelphia can fine Cox $76,580.
- Cox is currently skipping this week’s voluntary workouts.
- Rich Cimini mentions that people who know free agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick believe he isn’t going to budge off of his current contractual demands.
- Cimini doesn’t expect the Jets to reach an agreement with franchise DL Muhammad Wilkerson in the coming months.
- Cimini considers veteran CB Antonio Cromartie to be a “fallback” option for the Jets if they sustain some injuries at cornerback.
- The Vikings announced Tuesday that they’ve waived S John Lowdermilk to make room for Augustana RB C.J. Ham.