- ormer Oregon Ducks and Packers TE Colt Lyerla was found in an apparent overdose and hospitalized after he escaped from Washington County custody on Friday.
- A police spokesman said that officers encountered Lyerla after someone called about a man overdosing on drugs. Lyerla attempted to flee, but he was apprehended and taken to the hospital for treatment.
- Lyerla will be booked into the Washington County jail after his release from the hospital, according to the spokesman.
- The Rams officially signed rookie free agents G Alex Kozan (Auburn) and OT Kwayde Miller (San Diego State) to contracts on
- Mark Maske refutes a recent report that the Redskins have submitted a plan for filling their GM job to the NFL.
- The Steelers officially signed rookie free agent QB Nick Schuessler (Clemson) to a contract on Friday.
Texans GM Rick Smith mentioned that first-round QB Deshaun Watson will, in fact, get an opportunity to compete for the starting job.
“We want to provide a competitive environment across the board. So [Watson will] compete,” Smith said, via ESPN.com. “[But] like I said, we feel good about Tom and his abilities to manage the offense. But yeah, [Watson] will come in, and just like every other guy on the roster, he’ll have time to play.”
Smith stressed the importance of creating “the most competitive environment possible.”
“Our mentality is that we try to create the most competitive environment possible, at every position,” Smith said. “So there are some things that Deshaun has to come in and learn — all these rookies. They’ve got to come in, and there’s so much that they don’t know about pro football.
“So he is in the class with the rest of those men when they report next week. There’s a lot for him to learn that way.”