Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo admitted during a radio appearance on 87.7 FM The Game that trading TE Greg Olsen to the Panthers in 2011 was a mistake.
“It was a mistake to trade him,” Angelo said, via CSNChicago.com. “I understand he wasn’t the ideal fit in the scheme, but we let our best receiver go. Obviously, it was [Jay] Cutler’s favorite receiver at the time, and we let him out the door.”
Angelo moved Olsen due to the fact that then-offensive coordinator Mike Martz didn’t see Olsen as a fit for his offense.
“That’s on me. I understand what the coaches were saying, but you don’t let your best player — one of your better players — out the door. Everything he’s doing hasn’t surprised me. He’s an excellent player, particularly in the passing game. He’s Newton’s favorite target. I’m happy for Greg; he’s not only a great player, but a great kid. Like Matt Forte, [he has] an insatiable work ethic.”
- The Bears are expected to sign undrafted rookie G Conor Boffeli to their practice squad. (Adam Caplan)
- The Broncos are paying QB Zac Dysert an elevated pay rate of $10k to remain on their practice squad. (Brian McIntyre)
- The Browns are paying G Ryan Seymour an elevated pay rate of $10k to remain on their practice squad. (Brian McIntyre)
- The Lions are paying OL Rodney Austin an elevated pay rate of $11,765 to remain on their practice squad. (Brian McIntyre)
The Ravens are playing three practice squad players elevated pay rates this season.
- WR Deonte Thompson is earning $17k per week. (Brian McIntyre)
- G Ryan Jensen is earning $6,500 per week. (Brian McIntyre)
- OLB John Simon is earning $10k per week. (Brian McIntyre)