HC On Hot Seat
ESPN’s Adam Caplan (Insider) takes a look at NFL coaches who could be on the hot seat at the half-way point in the year.
- Caplan considers Colts HC Chuck Pagano, Browns HC Mike Pettine, and Lions HC Jim Caldwell to be the most likely coaches to be fired, barring improvement.
- Caplan believes Chargers HC Mike McCoy‘s seat is warm right now.
- Coaches who would appear to be on the hot seat, but are “colder than you think” include Redskins HC Jay Gruden, Jaguars HC Gus Bradley, and Rams HC Jeff Fisher.
- According to Rand Getlin, there’s a “strong sense” from people around 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick who get the sense that the decision to bench him was influenced by the front office.
- Adam Caplan reports that the 49ers are expected to sign CB Chris Davis to their practice squad.
- The 49ers won’t be signing veteran RB Ben Tate to a contract, despite the fact that he worked out for the team on Tuesday. (Eric Branch)
- Colts signed G Ben Heenan to their practice squad.
- Colts released OL David Arkin from their practice squad.
- Giants signed TE Matt LaCosse to their practice squad.
“As a Panther? Eventually? Yeah, when he gets an opportunity,” Rivera said Tuesday when asked if he wanted to see Smith end his career as a Panther, via Bill Voth of BlackandBlueReview.com. “He deserves it. He’s earned that opportunity.“