- New Browns OC John DeFilippo took the time to speak highly of QB Johnny Manziel, despite the fact that he is, of course, not present at Browns rookie camp.
“All I know is this: From the moment he stepped in this building from the last two weeks, he’s been nothing but a consummate professional,” DeFilippo said via Mary Kay Cabot. “He’s spent every hour that he’s been allowed to spend in this building. We give them worksheets every Tuesday and every Friday, and they’re done to the unbelievable detail that we need an NFL quarterback to do. From that standpoint, like I said I can’t predict the future, but all I can do is tell you right now Johnny Manziel is putting himself in a position to be a quarterback in the NFL.”
- Fourth-round pick WR DeAndre Smelter will likely begin the season on the non-football injury list, stemming from December ACL surgery. (Matt Maiocco)
- Scout Robert Livingston was promoted to defensive/special teams quality control assistant coach. (Coley Harvey)
- First-round DL Leonard Williams stood out at Jets rookie camp, while QB Bryce Petty was described as “so-so.” (Rich Cimini)
- Head Coach Jeff Fisher said that the Rams were told they were in La’el Collins’ “final four.” (Howard Balzer)
- Third-round pick WR Tyler Lockett was dubbed the “star” of minicamp and it seems likely that he will serve as the team’s kick and punt returner. (Gregg Bell)