There are some in NFL circles who wonder if Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray has the leadership fire necessary to be a franchise quarterback.
“To be a legit NFL quarterback you’ve got to have leadership qualities,” former NFL GM Scot McCloughan said via Sports Illustrated’s Robert Klemko. “Watching Kyler do an interview, it’s like, C’mon, guy, what do you got? Give me something. I’m sure they’re trying to train him up, but . . . he’s just not a go-getter. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good QB. Just means he’s not gonna be the guy in the locker room.”
Klemko also reveals that Murray turned down $14 million in guaranteed cash, in addition to his $4.66 million signing bonus, from the Oakland Athletics.
“Ninety-six percent of kids who just signed a $4.6 million deal to play baseball wouldn’t have been on no football field the following fall,” says Kevin Murray, Kyler’s father. “How can people question his love for the game?”
- Mike Garafolo writes that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray’s agent “absolutely” traveled with him Arizona for Murray’s official visit with the Cardinals, despite comments made by GM Steve Keim.
- Garafolo adds that Murray’s agent was not at the team’s facility for the “visit” itself.
- However, Garafolo says that Murray’s agent “played a role” while in Arizona and points out that he could have met with Cardinals’ officials during off-site meetings.
- Jason La Canfora talked to an evaluator who has been “uncanny” predicting wide receivers who said Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf and Arizona State WR N’Keal Harry would be the first two off the board.
- La Canfora adds he got the sense this evaluator preferred Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown to both those players.
- He also believes Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler goes higher than some are predicting.
- LSU RB Nick Brossette has workouts with the Steelers, Saints, Packers and Eagles. (Aaron Wilson)
- Maryland LB Tre Watson has visited the Giants and worked out for the Dolphins and 49ers. (Ian Rapoport)
- Penn State WR DeAndre Thompkins has worked out for the Patriots, Giants, Packers, Jets, Bills, Ravens and Lions. (Bo Marchionte)
- Miami DE Joe Jackson has met with the Dolphins, Patriots, Saints and Titans. (Barry Jackson)
- Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye visited the Eagles on Tuesday and also attended the Giants’ local prospect day this week. (Matt Lombardo)
- Idaho OLB Kaden Elliss met with the Ravens on Monday and visited the Jaguars on Tuesday. (Tony Pauline)