There had been some talk about Kyle Shanahan bringing his father, Mike Shanahan, along with him to San Francisco upon taking the 49ers’ head-coaching job.
However, Shanahan told reporters that he doesn’t anticipate his father taking a job with the 49ers.
“We did our deal in Washington and I wouldn’t take that back for the world, but that was pretty much the end of it,” Shanahan said, via CSN Bay Area.
“I always anticipate asking my dad for advice and stuff like that, just like anybody would in their profession if their dad had done the same thing and been successful at it,” Shanahan said. “But as far as him working in the building and doing stuff like that, that’s definitely not been in the discussions. My dad’s basically retired.”
Kyle Shanahan indicated that finding a quarterback will be the team’s top priority once he’s officially hired as the 49ers’ next head coach.
“Look at the history of the NFL. Teams who don’t have one of those guys usually struggle to be there at the end of the year unless they have one of the top defenses in Super Bowl history or NFL history. Everyone knows that,” Shanahan said, via Yahoo.com. “You need a quarterback to consistently be competitive. That’s what everyone is looking for. Coaches and personnel people. That’s usually where it starts.”
- Multiple sources tell Alex Marvez of assistant special teams coach Richard Hightower is likely to become the 49ers new special teams coordinator under Shanahan.
- Dan Hatman expects Greg Knapp and Brian Pariani to be potential hires for Shanahan’s coaching staff.
- The Baltimore Ravens announced Tuesday that they will be making $120 million of improvements to M&T Bank Stadium, which includes new video boards in end zone, escalators, expanded kitchen facilities, and enhancements to the club level.
- Nick Underhill of the Advocate reports that the Saints are bringing back Curtis Johnson as their WRs coach, replacing John Morton.
- Jeremy Fowler reports that Steelers WR Sammie Coates underwent surgery to repair fractures and tendon damage in his left ring and index fingers.