- Free agent C Nick Mangold said he thought the Jets would have been willing to work something out before cutting him but that proved to not be the case: “I figured I’d at least talk it out with the Jets, but it didn’t work out like that. But I’ll always be remembered as a Jet.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Mangold added that the split with the Jets was “bittersweet”: “When I didn’t get a chance to talk it out with the team that surprised me. It’s bittersweet.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- In regards to his recovery from his ankle injury, Mangold admitted that his progress has been slow: “We’ve been making the right progress, but it’s been a slow grind. Taken a lot longer than I’d like.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Mangold was also asked about the possibility of joining the Patriots: “After all the battles we’ve had, I don’t think Bill likes me.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- 49ers GM John Lynch mentioned that their medical staff never expressed concerns about first-round LB Reuben Foster’s shoulder, even though other teams believe he’ll require surgery at some point: “Our medical team never blinked and never wavered about Reuben Foster’s shoulder. It is healing very well.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Lynch added that they anticipate Foster will be a “full go” for training camp. (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- According to Lynch, Foster is actually ahead of schedule right now. (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Jason Cole reports that the Saints will have U.S. Olympic sprinter Marvin Bracy in attendance for their rookie minicamp this weekend.
- Bracy worked out for the Panthers last week but wasn’t signed to a contract following the session.
- John McClain of the Houston Chronicle tells Pro Football Talk that there won’t actually be a quarterback competition this summer between Tom Savage and first-round pick Deshaun Watson, even though the team suggested as much.
- Instead, McClain expects Savage to be the team’s starter unless he either suffers an injury or ends up being ineffective this season.
- McClain added that Texans HC Bill O’Brien doesn’t want to a rookie quarterback out there unless there’s really no other choice.