Broncos HC Gary Kubiak announced Wednesday that Peyton Manning will practice this week, and if all goes well, he will be the backup quarterback to Brock Osweiler for Sunday’s game against the Chargers.
Kubiak stressed that this has always been about Manning’s health.
“It’s always been about Peyton’s health, getting him back in position to help this football team,” Kubiak said, via DenverBroncos.com. “It’s the next step we need to take. He hasn’t played in [nearly two] months.”
Even so, Kubiak made it clear that Osweiler is their starting quarterback.
“Brock’s our quarterback, and nothing has changed from that standpoint,” Kubiak said. “… The team knows that Brock is our quarterback.”
- Manning said of the situation: “I will do what I can to help Brock and the team.”
- Manning also reiterated that the HGH report wasn’t true: “The report wasn’t true Sunday, it’s not true today, it won’t ever be true. I’m still angry.” (Jeff Legwold)
Ohio State HC Urban Meyer said Wednesday that an NFL team contacted him earlier this year, but he told them that he wasn’t interested in any other job, per Dave Briggs.
Meyer wouldn’t say which team reached out to him.
“I’m not going there,” Meyer said, via Asapsports.com. “I’ll just say [a team] reached out.
“I really enjoy where I’m coaching and who I’m coaching. At this point, my son’s in high school. We’re where we need to be. I really love my athletic director. I think the future’s bright. We’re recruiting well. I’m very happy with where we’re at.”
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post mentions that the Broncos need to get a deal done with impending free agent QB Brock Osweiler.
- In the end, Renck believes Osweiler could secure a deal that would pay him around $12 to $15 million per season.
- Renck adds that the Broncos want Osweiler back, so it looks like an agreement should get done at some point.
- Chargers sign CB Richard Crawford to their practice squad