- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that the NFL’s lack of a replacement has helped to keep commissioner Roger Goodell’s job.
- A source tells Florio that no one currently in the league office is regarded as a capable, immediate replacement for Goodell.
- However, it’s possible that Tod Leiweke and Brian Rolapp could eventually emerge as replacements to Goodell.
- According to Florio, some have made the case that size of the NFL could justify hiring a CEO from corporate America who could surround himself/herself with the right people while focusing on leadership and helping to grow the business structure of the league.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that Jimmy Garoppolo‘s best move is to force the 49ers to use their franchise tag on him next year by doing nothing until the tag deadline.
- Florio mentions that even if the 49ers offer Garoppolo a contract before the deadline that’s based on the anticipated value of the tag, it’s in his best interest to be tagged before signing anything.
- Under the current CBA, a player can only be franchised three times and each time they’re tagged, the salary increases by a good percentage.
- In the end, Florio believes Garoppolo’s best play may be to go year-to-year, like Kirk Cousins has done in Washington.
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan recently said that they’re comfortable franchising Garoppolo next year if it comes to that. (NFLTR)
- Rich Cimini points out that the Jets will save $353,000 by CB Darrelle Revis signing on with the Chiefs last week. In total, the Jets will pay $5.65 million instead of $6 million for the 2017 season.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!