The rumor mill has already mentioned the possibility that Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson could be let go during the offseason but Tomlinson remains confident that he’ll be back in New York next season.
In an interview with ESPN New York Tomlinson said that he “fully expects” to be a Jet come next season.
On Wednesday Tomlinson discussed the same topic with New York Daily News but spoke more freely this time.
“Part of it really does suck,” said Tomlinson, who turns 32 in June. “It really does for me. To be in limbo … sometimes, I just want to say ‘You know what? I’m just going to retire.’”
So far Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has remained noncommittal in regards to Tomlinson’s future with the Jets, a subject that Tomlinson still finds to be unsettling.
“It’s kind of a messed up feeling to be in, because I feel like we had a great season. Things went well. But here there’s questions about whether I’m going to come back (with the one) year that I have left (on my contract). So who knows” explains Tomlinson.
Considering that Tomlinson is due to make $2.425 million it’s seems likely that the Jets would bring him back but when you consider the number of impact players that are set to become free agents this year, WR Santonio Holmes, LB David Harris, CB Antonio Cromartie, S Eric Smith, DT Shaun Ellis, WR Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, the Jets may want to reallocate that money to a player that will be more than a complimentary running back.