Home 49ers NFL Rumors: Kirk Cousins, Frank Gore, Free Agency
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk tosses out a theory that the Jets are the only seriously interested team in free agent QB Kirk Cousins and other teams such as the Vikings, Broncos and Cardinals are all essentially leverage for them.
- Florio adds that Arizona, Denver and Minnesota could be willing participants and showing interest in Cousins could help them leverage deals with other quarterbacks.
- According to Florio, some believe the Jets will offer Cousins the most money, but he’ll still elect to sign elsewhere. However, the gap between what the Jets are offering and what other teams are willing to pay could prove to be too much for him to pass up.
- Ben Volin reports that the Vikings are definitely “in on” Cousins but there are issues with signing him to a massive contract including the fact that they’ll need to sign other players to extension including Stefon Diggs, Anthony Barr and Danielle Hunter. There’s also the issue that the Cousins’ massive guarantees could create in terms of the NFL’s funding requirement.
- Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reports that free agent RB Frank Gore knows he has probably one more NFL season left in him and wants to play for a team that sees him as a starter or at least a significant contributor and is a contender.
- According to Barrows, Gore was eyeing the Packers as a potential option, especially after they hired former Colts OL coach Joe Philbin, but Green Bay is apparently content with their young running backs.
- Barrows says that the Bills have shown interest in Gore, but he would be a secondary option to LeSean McCoy.
- The 49ers aren’t viewed as a scheme fit for him.
- Ben Volin hears that the Panthers, Jaguars and Dolphins are “heavily interested” in free agent quarterbacks.
- Volin says that the Panthers want a quality backup because Cam Newton tends to take a lot of hits.
- The Jaguars and Dolphins are reportedly in “win-now mode” and want a veteran backup to push their starter.
- According to Matt Barrows, the 49ers are believed to be one of the interested teams in Eagles free agent TE Trey Burton.
- Dave Birkett reports that Lions free agent C Travis Swanson‘s representations have medical documentation that they plan to show interested teams that the symptoms Detroit attributed to a concussion were actually a bad reaction to medication. Swanson has been linked to the Jets and Dolphins. (NFLTR)
- JP Finlay mentions that the Redskins are looking for free agents who are coming off of rookie deals. This doesn’t mean Washington is exclusively looking for young players, but it appears to be a focus for them.