- Per the Athletic’s Matthew Fairburn, Bills HC Sean McDermott said CB Levi Wallace left practice with an ankle injury but was able to return.
- Bills WR Cole Beasley missed practice with an illness.
- Bills signed TE Nate Becker to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Bills released LB Nate Hall.
When the Dolphins cut DT Akeem Spence, a 16-game starter last season, it was a mildly-surprising move that was quickly drowned out by the exodus of other players from Miami in an apparent tanking job. Things worked out for Spence, who signed a deal with the Super-Bowl contending Eagles this week.
“It just so happened, around 3 or 4, I’m taking my clothes to the cleaners, I see my agent called me,” Spence said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. “He asked me, how would I like the opportunity to be on a Super Bowl contender? I said, ‘Who wouldn’t?’”
“I feel bad for (my former teammates in Miami). . . . Those guys don’t have any control over what’s going on. . . . It’s one of those things, man, you shake your head on,” Spence added.
- Despite cutting him just a few weeks ago, Dolphins HC Brian Flores says the team was happy to be able to bring back DE Tank Carradine: “Tank’s fast, physical, he’s a good teammate. We like a lot of things about him. We’re happy to have him back.” (Adam Beasley)
- Flores added the team is hopeful to have WR Albert Wilson back by Sunday’s game against the Patriots. Wilson missed most of the offseason rehabbing a hip injury before hurting his calf after only a handful of snaps last week: “(He) is doing everything he can to get back. … Hopefully he’s back sooner than later.” (Beasley)
- Dolphins re-signed DE Tank Carradine. (NFLTR)
- Dolphins placed DE Jonathan Ledbetter on injured reserve.
New Jets K Sam Ficken is the third kicker to take a stab at replacing Pro Bowl K Jason Myers, who left New York for Seattle this offseason. Ficken isn’t thinking about the ghosts of kickers past, though, he’s keeping his eyes on what’s ahead.
“I think that would be the wrong way to approach it,” Ficken said via NorthJersey.com’s Andy Vasquez. “I try and go in and just be myself. I’m hitting the ball really well and confident in my swing. . . . My plan is to take it day by day and don’t get over my skis.”
- According to Chris Mortensen, Jets QB Sam Darnold (mono) will be quarantined at his apartment away from teammates until the medical staff feels he’s no longer contagious.
- Mortensen reports Darnold has also already lost five pounds from the illness.
- Jets RB Le’Veon Bell missed practice Thursday because of shoulder soreness. Jets HC Adam Gase is hopeful he’ll be able to play Monday night. (Rich Cimini)
- Bell’s MRI revealed no major damage or tears and was mostly a precautionary measure. (Jeremy Fowler)
- New acquisition WR Demaryius Thomas won’t practice until Saturday with a hamstring injury. (Manish Mehta)
- Jets promoted QB Luke Falk to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, Patriots CB Jonathan Jones‘ four-year $24 million deal includes $12 million guaranteed and an $8.075 million signing bonus.
- Jones’ base salary was raised from $3.1 million to $8.8 million in 2019. He also has $800,000 total in per-game roster bonuses each year from 2020 to 2022, with base salaries of $4 million, $5.1 million and $6.2 million the next three years.