- While Josh Allen appears to be in good position to open the season as the Bills’ starting quarterback, Mike Rodak says that it’s too early to consider Allen a “lock” to start Week 1.
- Rodak adds that Bills HC Sean McDermott has as high of an opinion of Nathan Peterman as anyone and I wouldn’t expect A.J. McCarron’s injury to cause McDermott to stray from his “calculated” plan about Allen.
- Rodak thinks McDermott could give both Peterman and Allen time with the first-team offense next week.
- Beyond that, Rodak wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bills sign another quarterback.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN does not think the Jets should rush to start first-round QB Sam Darnold, given that they have capable starters in Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater on the roster.
- Cimini points out that Bridgewater remains a trade candidate, especially if the Jets are comfortable moving forward with McCown and Darnold.
- Cimini also notes that the Jets’ offensive line is not suited to protect a rookie quarterback since LT Kelvin Beachum and RG Brian Winters are dealing with injuries, while the team is learning a new blocking scheme.
- Lastly, Cimini does not think the Jets’ schedule is fit for a rookie quarterback, considering that they open Week 1 with a Monday night game and have a Thursday night Week 3 game for a total of three games in just 11 days.
- Jets HC Todd Bowles said CB Trumaine Johnson strained his hamstring during Thursday’s preseason game and was held out of Saturday’s practice as a “precaution.” Bowles went on to say that Johnson will “hopefully” return soon. (Rich Cimini)
- Jim McBride of the Boston Globe writes that Patriots rookie RB Sony Michel and RB Rex Burkhead are “locks” to make the active roster, while James White, Jeremy Hill, Mike Gillislee, and Brandon Bolden are currently competing for playing time.
- At the receiver position, McBride notes that Kenny Britt is a “huge question mark” and Riley McCarron, Devin Lucien, and Braxton Berrios are among those competing for a final roster spot.
- McBride notes that OL LaAdrian Waddle will start at right tackle if Marcus Cannon is still injured.
- McBride mentions that fifth-round LB Ja’Whaun Bentley is ascending up the depth chart due to his strong play this preseason.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!