- Per Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post, Dolphins HC Brian Flores said CB Xavien Howard had knee surgery a few days ago. The procedure was successful and Howard will rehab to return as soon as possible.
- ESPN’s Cameron Wolfe reports Howard is expected to be ready for OTA’s and didn’t have a torn ACL or MCL.
- Dolphins RB Kalen Ballage was spotted in a walking boot in the locker room. (Barry Jackson)
Brian Costello of the New York Post explores some potential free agent and draft options for the Jets to consider at offensive line, wide receiver, and edge rusher in order to end their nine-year playoff drought.
- Costello lists Redskins G Brandon Scherff, Colts OT Anthony Castonzo, Patriots G Joe Thuney, Cardinals OT D.J. Humphries, and Titans OT Jack Conklin as free agent offensive linemen who could make sense for New York.
- As for the draft, Costello lists Georgia OT Andrew Thomas, Alabama OT Alex Leatherwood, and Wisconsin C Tyler Biadasz.
- At receiver, some of the top free agents include Cowboys WR Amari Cooper, Bengals WR A.J. Green, 49ers WR Emmanuel Sanders. along with draft prospects Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb, and Alabama’s Henry Ruggs III.
- Costello points out the group of edge free agents is deep this year with notable names including Seahawks DE Jadeveon Clowney, Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue, Steelers OLB Bud Dupree, Buccaneers OLB Shaquil Barrett, Ravens OLB Matt Judon, Rams OLB Dante Fowler, and Texans DE Whitney Mercilus.
- Ohio State DE Chase Young could be off the board before the Jets are on the clock, but Costello also mentions Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons and Alabama LB Terrell Lewis as possibilities.
- The Athletic’s Connor Hughes believes the Jets will re-sign G Alex Lewis and keep C Jonotthan Harrison, and depending on if they want to take an offensive tackle in the first round, they could also re-sign OT Kelvin Beachum.
Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore has been one of the keys to arguably the NFL’s nastiest defense, and it’s put him in the conversation for NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Gilmore would be the first defensive back to win the award since former Steelers S Troy Polamalu did it back in 2010 and he says his six interceptions, two touchdown returns and zero touchdowns allowed on 84 targets make his case for him.
“My play speaks for itself. If you really watch the tape each and every game, there’s no question,” Gilmore said on 98.5 The Sports Hub.
- Patriots CB Jonathan Jones will miss this week’s game against the Bills. (Zack Cox)
- OUT for Week 16: CB Jonathan Jones (groin)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 16: LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (knee), LB Jamie Collins (shoulder), WR Julian Edelman (knee, shoulder), CB Jason McCourty (groin)