There’s a little more than two weeks until the Bengals kick off the 2020 NFL Draft by making the first pick. The odds overwhelmingly indicate they’ll end QB Andy Dalton‘s time as the starter by picking LSU QB Joe Burrow. What’s next for Dalton though is still unclear. He remains on the roster but the Bengals can cut or trade him at any time without any cost since Dalton has no guaranteed money left. They could also keep him on as a backup/mentor to Burrow if the veteran is amenable to that.
“Every option is on the table out there,” Bengals HC Zac Taylor said via Elise Jesse of WLWT. “We’re trying to put ourselves in the best position to make sure we’re prepared for next season and we have the best assets we can have. We think the world of Andy, obviously. It’s just kind of a weekly process for us.”
- The Athletic’s Jay Morrison points out that despite adding D.J. Reader in free agency, the Bengals need another defensive tackle with pass-rushing prowess to groom behind 32-year-old Geno Atkins.
- However, Morrison doesn’t expect the Bengals to use more than a Day 3 pick on the position given their other needs and past draft history.
- The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec thinks the Ravens will still add a veteran pass rusher but since there are as many as 10 viable options he doesn’t think Baltimore is in any rush.
- The Ravens can also protect a compensatory pick by not signing any more qualifying free agents before May 6, so Zrebiec expects that to be a factor for the team.
- Zrebiec points out that if Seahawks free-agent DE Jadeveon Clowney ends up signing for around $16-$17 million a year that strengthens the Ravens’ bargaining position with LB Matt Judon.
- Zrebiec says to keep an eye on the Texans’ negotiations with LT Laremy Tunsil, as that will be the barometer for the Ravens in their own extension negotiations with LT Ronnie Stanley.
- Ravens DE Derek Wolfe‘s one-year, $3 million deal includes a $750,000 signing bonus, $2.25 million base salary and an additional $3 million in incentives for playing time and sacks. (Jamison Hensley)