Broncos DT Jurrell Casey was a surprising trade this offseason when Tennessee unloaded him for just a seventh-round pick in what was a move clearly motivated to shed salary. As luck would have it, the first game on Denver’s schedule is a matchup against the visiting Titans, and Casey acknowledged he would have “a little more juice going into the game.”
“Emotions are high,” he said via KUSA’s Mike Klis. “What happened in Tennessee is in the past. I’m ready to get going with the Broncos and go on a run for the championship season. First game is going to be hyped. You’re going to see me out there making a ton of plays and that’s day to day.”
- Per ESPN’s Jeff Legwold, Broncos HC Vic Fangio said he’s rooting for former third-round CB Isaac Yiadom to make them regret trading him to the Giants for a seventh-round pick: “I don’t know that it was anything in particular, I just think it was a good opportunity — we have guys there, it was a good opportunity to give Ike a fresh start, back on the East Coast. I’ll be his biggest cheerleader, I hope he makes us look bad and he’s a great player there. I’m cheering for him.”
- Broncos’ LB Mark Barron‘s one-year, $2.5 million deal includes a base salary of $1.75 million with $1 million guaranteed and includes $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses. (Klis)
- Broncos LB Todd Davis returned to individual drills while second-round WR KJ Hamler continued work with the strength coaches. (Jeff Legwold)
- Per Jeff Miller of the Los Angeles Times, Chargers S Nasir Adderley says he’s ready to start if the team asks him to take over for Derwin James: “I’m prepared. I’m confident wherever they want to put me. . . . When we’re not wearing the same color jerseys, I mean, it’s going to be a lot of fun.”
- Chargers OC Shane Steichen sounded optimistic WR Mike Williams (shoulder) would be ready to return for Week 1: “Mike’s gotta be ready to play. I think Mike has got that mindset to be ready to play. … We look forward to having him on September 13.” (Gilbert Manzano)
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reports Raiders’ CB Damon Arnette recently suffered a fracture in his thumb and is currently in a soft cast.
- Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal notes Arnette appears ready to play through the injury, as he played through a similar injury at Ohio State.
- ESPN’s Paul Gutierrez says that while Raiders QB Marcus Mariota has been day-to-day with undisclosed injuries, a source said he was “fine.”
- By cutting CB Prince Amukamara, Gutierrez notes the Raiders freed up roster space and playing time for young guys like Arnette, Isaiah Johnson, Amik Robertson, Keisean Nixon and Madre Harper.