- Per Denver 7’s Troy Renck, Broncos HC Vic Fangio defended leaving QB Drew Lock in the game during Sunday’s blowout loss to the Chiefs, saying Lock needs reps to develop: “He’s got to get through these games. The only way he’s going to improve is to play. As coaches, we have to do our jobs better. And Drew’s going to have to play better.”
- Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay is in the concussion protocol. (Renck)
- Broncos promoted DT Sylvester Williams to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- Broncos placed DT Mike Purcell and LB Derrek Tuszka on injured reserve. (NFLTR)
“I’m usually pretty decisive when I have to make decisions,” Lynn said, via Albert Breer of SI. “But I took an extra day just to make sure. And when I made my mind up, it’s just the way I was going. We drafted this young man to be our franchise quarterback. Not having an offseason, not having preseason games, it was almost impossible to project him as a starter his rookie year. And I wasn’t particularly crazy about putting a rookie on the field his first year. But just the way he played, the way he handled himself, I saw enough consistency and I thought I saw an opportunity for him to continue his growth. Because I know he’s just going to continue to get better. Why not start now?
“That was hard. That was a tough decision. Because Tyrod Taylor had earned the job, and he earned the respect of the team. Every player on this team voted for that man for captain, and that’s the first time that’s happened since I’ve been here. So he was, no doubt, a leader on this football team. To lose the job the way that he did, it’s just really unfortunate. I don’t even like to talk about it because I’m the one who did it to him. I’ve spoken with Tyrod, we have a really good relationship. I care a lot about that young man and his well-being.”
- According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, Chargers TE Virgil Green is a candidate for short-term injured reserve after suffering a lateral ankle sprain this week.
- Herbert and other Chargers players and staff had to be evacuated due to wildfires in Southern California but the team’s preparation for this week’s matchup against the Broncos is unchanged. (Tom Pelissero)
- Raiders’ HC Jon Gruden said that they need more from rookie WR Henry Ruggs: “When it is 1-on-1 we need him to win. He knows that. We know that. We’re going to continue to work him in our offense. He’s still a young player.” (Vic Tafur)
- Raiders signed LB James Onwualu and DB Kemah Siverand to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Raiders placed WR Robert Davis and DB D.J. White on the practice squad injured list.