Despite the fact that Browns’ DE Myles Garrett has been a one-man wrecking machine this season, the team is still looking for other ways to get at the quarterback.
“If it is not what it is supposed to be, then we just have to do better,” Garrett said, via Scott Petrak of BrownsZone.com. “I have to do better. I have to win my one-on-ones quicker. I have to beat whoever I have to beat to get pressure on them. That is on us who is called upon. We can’t be asking for anybody else. We can’t be complaining about the scheme. We just have to find a way to make it happen.”
Garrett will play Sunday against the Raiders after missing two days of practice with an ankle injury. Browns’ HC Kevin Stefanski said the team is “making sure we are keeping tabs on him, but he is ready to go.” Garrett added that he has tweaked the ankle twice and has simply needed to rest it going forward.
“I tweaked it twice so I just needed some time to get right,” Garrett said. “It’s doing all right. Getting old, so just trying to take my time when I can. Doing the best that I can and going out there and making the plays that I am supposed to make. For what is in the forecast (wind and rain), I will probably be doing a little bit more run-stopping than pass rushing. Whatever happens, I will be ready for it.”
- Zac Jackson of The Athletic believes that even with young defensive backs Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams injured, the Browns could have done a better job securing depth and it shows every Sunday.
- Jackson says that it is clear the team is uninterested in adding a veteran safety such as Earl Thomas or Eric Reid. He points at two Jets players in CB Brian Poole and S Marcus Maye as realistic trade targets for a 5-2 Browns team.
- A pass rusher could also be coveted by the team at the deadline, and two players who come to mind for Jackson are Washington LB Ryan Kerrigan and Jets’ LB Tarell Basham.
- Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic notes that one failure of the Ravens’ this season was finding a replacement for retired G Marshal Yanda.
- Despite the struggle of replacing a player who is likely a future Hall of Famer, Zrebiec says that G Tyre Phillips has struggled in doing so as he had never played guard prior to getting to the NFL.
- Zrebiec also says that while most Ravens fans are unrealistically fantasizing about adding a receiver like Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, or Kenny Golladay, the team should be able to get a lower-tier receiver such as Marvin Jones or Will Fuller.
- He adds that either player would be a strong upgrade at a reasonable price. Zrebiec thinks this is likely the best they can do with their current cap space and due to the fact that they have already traded away some of their future draft picks.
- Ravens promoted DB Terrell Bonds and LB Kristian Welch to their active roster.
- Gerry Dulac of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers are “unlikely” to make a trade, but his source did qualify that by saying “but you never know.”
- Dulac adds that the team could trade a player such as TE Vance McDonald, RB Jaylen Samuels, QB Devlin Hodges, or CB Cameron Sutton in order to acquire a linebacker like Jarrad Davis or Avery Williamson in order to help the team recover from the loss of LB Devin Bush who is out for the season.
- Mark Kaboly of The Athletic believes that had the team not committed nearly $10 million to FB Derek Watt this past offseason, there would be more cap space left to accommodate a replacement for Bush at inside linebacker.
- Kaboly adds that Watt has been basically useless for Pittsburgh and has only played 25 snaps in six games so far in 2020.
- Steelers placed DL Chris Wormley on injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Steelers promoted RB Trey Edmunds, LB Jayrone Elliott and S Antoine Brooks Jr to their active roster.