Colts DT Grover Stewart put in a ton of work this offseason to slim down from 330 pounds to 315 pounds. The results have shown on the field as Stewart is having a career year and is a key part of the Colts’ rock-solid run defense. Stewart is a strong candidate for an extension, potentially even before the end of the season.
“He’s having a really good year,” Colts HC Frank Reich said via 1075TheFan.com’s Kevin Bowen. “He’s explosive. He came in in the best shape of his life. He kind of transformed his body – made him quicker and faster. He lost a lot of weight, put on lean mass. Then Grover in a different way is one of the true leaders of this team. This guy, he’s not always the loudest or the most vocal leader, but if you talk about in the locker room who gets the most respect, Grover is in that top tier of guys because of his humble heart. He’s got this humble heart, yet he is a fierce competitor. I love guys like that – guys that are fierce competitors. So, he’s having a monster year.”
- Colts TE Jack Doyle remains in the concussion protocol but the plan is for DE Kemoko Turay to be activated off the PUP list this week. (Mike Wells)
- Per Jacksonville.com’s John Reid, Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said QB Gardner Minshew would begin throwing again this week but he still expected sixth-round QB Jake Luton to start for the third consecutive week.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Jaguars also placed a waiver claim for OL Pat Elflein on Monday, but the Jets had the top waiver priority.
- Jaguars placed RB Chris Thompson on injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Sports Illustrated’s Peter King says the talk about Houston sticking with interim HC Romeo Crennel in 2021 because of the pandemic impacting their coaching search doesn’t pass the sniff test for him.
- King thinks it’s more likely that Houston is concerned about attracting quality candidates after all of the front office drama in recent years, including firing popular VP of communications Amy Palcic.
- Per ESPN’s Dianna Russini, Titans HC Mike Vrabel says the team will stick with K Stephen Gostkowski as the starter.
- Titans designated RB Darrynton Evans to return from injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Titans placed LB David Long Jr. on the COVID-19 list