Colts rookie RB Jonathan Taylor mentioned that he definitely was not one to shy away from contact and enjoys his role as a physical runner.
“I embrace it a lot,” Taylor said, via Stephen Holder of The Athletic. “My coaches have always told me that the best guy on defense is the guy who is moving the chains. … I’m always a guy who embraces keeping the chains moving, and in order to do that, you have to be physical, be willing to grind out some yards. Sometimes you have to be able to just hit a big one. But I think being able to play between the tackles is a huge deal, and I take pride in that.”
- Colts S Malik Hooker said he got the message when the team declined to pick up his fifth-year option this offseason: “A motivation call for me — I gotta go out and prove myself this year.” (Zak Keefer)
- Hooker gave his performance in 2019 a B+ and acknowledged he has to be more consistent. (Joel Erickson)
- He confirmed he would like to remain long-term with the Colts: “I love Indianapolis, the city is great and (staying here) is definitely the plan.” (Holder)
- Colts HC Frank Reich said DT Sheldon Day has been working through a knee injury: “It’s going to take a little bit, but he’s progressing nicely.” (Andrew Walker)
- Reich praised Colts DE Tyquan Lewis‘ start to camp. Lewis was challenged this offseason to step up to save his place on the team as a former second-round pick: “He’s looked exceptionally good.” (Kevin Bowen)
Texans RB David Johnson heard all the criticism this offseason of the trade that brought him to Houston in exchange for WR DeAndre Hopkins. His contract was an albatross, Johnson was a shell of the player who tore up the NFL in 2016 and Arizona pulled off a coup by getting the Texans to take Johnson. But the veteran is determined to prove the critics wrong in 2020.
“My biggest thing is I’m still myself — 2016,” Johnson said via Tyler Dunne of Bleacher Report. “If anything, I’m smarter. I know defenses even more. I know the game of football even more in the league. So I feel like I still have the same speed and strength and everything … but even more smarts.
“They’re getting a guy who’s going to always work hard. They never have to worry about me off the field. … They’re going to get a guy who’s dedicated to the team and really dedicated to proving everyone wrong. I’m still striving to get that 1,000 yards rushing and receiving. So I’m going to do everything in my power — everything I humanly can — to get to that.”
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer thinks the Titans still make sense as a landing spot for DE Jadeveon Clowney given his familiarity with HC Mike Vrabel, who was his position coach with the Texans.
- Titans signed TE Geoff Swaim. (NFLTR)
- Titans signed QB Trevor Siemian. (NFLTR)
- Titans waived QB Cole McDonald. (NFLTR)
- Titans signed RB Marcus Marshall and WR Krishawn Hogan.
- Titans waived RB Dalyn Dawkins, WR Kyle Williams and TE Parker Hesse.